Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
This family can easily be traced back 300 years to Henry Cobb1, b. 1886 in the County of Rent. Eng. He came to America in 1629 and was a prominent man in Barnstable, Mass., where he lived and d. He left sixteen children. His eldest son, John2, b. June 7, 1632, in Plymouth, Mass., had eight children. His fourth son. Ebenezer3, b. Aug. 9, 1671, had a family of twelve children, b. in Kingston and Middleboro. Mass. The eldest son, Ebenezer4, was b. in Kingston in a house still standing (1900). Lived 107 years and 8 months, living in three centuries, having been b. in 1694. and dying in 1801. He had eleven children. His eldest son, also named Ebenezer5 was parent of seventeen children. Of this family two brothers, Francis6 and Ebenezer6, both b. in Plympton, Mass., came to Cornish about 1754. Francis had served as a soldier in the War of the Revolution to its close. They bought a tract of land of Esq. Daniel Chase, whereon they settled and spent the remainder of their lives.
They divided the land between themselves. and the farms still bear their names. It was then chiefly a tract of wild woodland, but they cleared a portion, and raised wheat, paying for the land in one year. The yield is said to have been 70 bu. to the acre.
1. FRANCIS6 COBB (Ebenezer5-4-3, John2, Henry1) b. Nov. 2, 1753; m. July 28, 1784, Phoebe Hobbs, b. Oct. 1, 1762. and d. Feb. 16, 1853, aged 92. He d. Feb. 5, 1845, aged 92. Children, all b. in Cornish:
i. JERUSHA, b. June 30, 1785; m. Feb. 15, 1809, David Huggins; had -children. She d. July 26, 1822.
ii. SILAS, b. June 25, 1756; d. March 14, 1835.
2. iii. FRANCIS, b. March 20, 1789.
iv. PHOEBE, b. Jan. 5, 1791; m. March 30, 1814, Ira Johnson. Three children:
- 1. Orren, b. June 17. 1815, and d. Aug. 10, 1897, in Lebanon.
- 2. Clarissa, b. Oct. 18, 1816; m. first, in 1839, James M. Beers, had five children; m. second, Aug. 21, 1855, Amasa Davis, one child. She d. March 16, 1897.
- 3. Ira, Jr., b. March 18, 1823. Was a soldier in the Civil War and d. in the service. Phoebe d. Dec. 5, 1873.
v. JOEL, b. Dec. 25,1794; m. -, Betsey Wright, five children. Jerusha Amarilla, Phoebe, and two that d. in infancy. He d. Dec. 25, 1859, in Canada.
vi. MINERVA, b. Aug. 8, 1799; m. Oct. 31, 1819. Samuel Ide of Coventry, Vt. She d. Aug. 22, 1826.
vii. CALVIN CUSHMAN b. Dec. 12,1804; m. June 3, 1838, Sophia Mariette Hall, dau. of Moody and Lois (Huntington) Hall, b. Sept. 18, 1806, and d. Jan. 13, 1883. Res. mainly in Homer, N. Y. Had four children. He d. Jan. 25, 1883.