Nathan R. Symonds, son of Thomas and Lydia (Pratt) Symonds, was born in Rindge, July 6, 1807, on what is known as the “Symonds farm.” He was a descendant of John Symonds, who came from England, and was resident in Salem, Mass., in 1636, being of the seventh generation counting John Symonds as first. Nathan was brought up under religious influences, his mother being a devout woman, whose every advice would be for his spiritual as well as temporal benefit. He married Eliza Herrick, July 3, 1831. They came to Chesterfield, March 31, 1837, settling near the “Channel,” south side, where Dr. Butler now lives. He worked at forging bits, for Richardson & Huggins, continuing the work for the different firms, until two or three years before his death, which occurred suddenly of apoplexy, on the morning of December 26, 1882. Mrs. Symonds died March 2, 1881. They were a united, home-loving couple. Mr. Symonds gave of his means for worthy objects, was a supporter of the gospel, and in addition to his money donations, practiced cutting and putting away his load of wood for church use. Eddie Buzzell, who married their granddaughter, M. Lizzie (daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Chase, of Westmoreland,) lives on School street, in the house where Mr. Symonds died, and where they lived about twenty years. Charles T. Symonds, born in Keene, February 21, 1835, went to Chelsea, Mass., in 1858: where he was in the employ of the gas company, sixteen years, being for eleven years treasurer, and of which company he was a prominent stockholder. He died September 16, 1871. Ann F., born June 14, 1847, died in infancy. Amelia A., born in Rindge, February 17, 1833, went to Chelsea, Mass., in 1858. She lives in the family of the Hon. Erastus Rugg, who married her father’s sister, and to whom she stands in their affections as daughter. She is a consistent member of the Methodist church. She has for many years been saleswoman in the establishment of A. B. Richardson, much of the time having charge of a portion of the business.