Mrs. Miriam Straw Emerson Fogg, widow of the late Sherburne Fogg, of West Hopkinton, and daughter of John Jones and Elizabeth (Straw) Emerson, was born on the farm where she now lives, November 20, 1821. She is a descendant of a prominent pioneer family of Hopkinton, her great-grandfather, Timothy Emerson, having been the original settler on Clement’s Hill. Timothy Emerson was very active in local affairs, doing much to advance the interests of the little town, among other things donating the land for the cemetery in which his body was laid to rest after his death, March 22, 1826, at the venerable age of eighty-six years. He was twice married. His first wife, who was without doubt an Ober, bore him two daughters and one son. The latter was John Ober Emerson, Mrs. Fogg’s grandfather. His children by his second wife Mary, were: Collins, Day, Benjamin, and Rachel. Day died November 1, 1841, at the age of fifty-two years, and was buried in the family lot. The mother, who survived the father, died October 29, 1833, aged eighty-one years.
John Ober Emerson was born on Clement’s Hill in Hopkinton, June 6, 1770. After his marriage with Mary Jones he settled on the present homestead, which extends along the Contoocook River, the house being beautifully located on the banks of the stream. Mary Jones was born August 14, 1769, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gordon) Jones. Her father died July 10, 1815, aged sixty-seven years; and her mother April 15, 1838, at the age of eighty-eight. John Ober Emerson and his wife became the parents of six children, namely: Philip, born in 1792, who lived but four years; Moses, born January 20, 1794, who died at the age of two years; John Jones, born December 25, 1795, who died February 1, 1841; Sarah Kast, born March 25, 1798, who died in 1823, aged twenty-five years; Micah George J., born July 21, 1801, who has not been heard from since he started for Troy, N.Y., in 1832; and Jane Greeley, born July 13, 1807, who married Daniel Hardy, of Warner, N.H., and died in August, 1882. After long and useful lives the father died in 1842, aged seventy-two years, and the mother, December 6, 1856, in her eighty-eighth year. Of the latter an interesting anecdote is narrated in the History of Hopkinton by C. C. Lord. Mrs. John O. Emerson, crossed the frozen Contoocook River from the north side, to attend meeting at the old West Meeting-house. While at service a sudden and rapid thaw reduced the ice on the river to a number of floating fragments, which presented a formidable barrier to the party returning from church. The nearest bridge was three miles down the river, and to reach home by that way would have required at least six miles of travel, which, as the party was on foot, caused them to halt in dubious reflection. Mrs. Emerson, however, with ready courage, settled the question by prompt action. In spite of the remonstrances of her companions, she sprang upon the nearest cake of ice, and, dexterously leaping from one to another, crossed the river in safety. Her friends, who watched her progress, were not inspired to make the attempt by her example. They followed the advice conveyed by the old proverb, “The longest way round is the shortest way home,” by walking to the bridge.
John Jones Emerson lived and died on the farm where his birth occurred, spending his years as a tiller of the soil. His name is among the list of Hopkinton soldiers who served in the War of 1812. He enlisted in Colonel Nathaniel Fisk’s first regiment in 1814. In the old militia days he was a Captain of riflemen. He married Miss Elizabeth Straw, who, born in Hopkinton, November 23, 1793, daughter of Levi and Miriam (Jones) Straw, died January 17, 1859. His children were: Seth George, Miriam Straw, Mary Jane, Sarah Elizabeth, Andrew Jackson, and William Seneca. Seth George, born April 24, 1820, who married Sarah Goss, of Henniker, and was at one time the owner of the homestead, removed to Fort Gratiot, Mich., where he died August 1, 1864. Mary Jane, born March 22, 1823, who died February 13, 1886, was the wife of Martin E. Philips, of Henniker, N.H. Sarah Elizabeth, born September 2, 1824, married Samuel D. Clark, of Chesterfield, N.H., and died in Port Huron, Mich., November 19, 1893. Andrew Jackson, born in February, 1828, died in January, 1831. William Seneca, born May 4, 1831, who married Mary A. Andrews, of the Isle of Sheppey, England, died August 17, 1890, in Hillsborough, N.H.
Miriam Straw Emerson was married to Sherburne Fogg. He was born July 9, 1819, in Meredith (now Laconia), N.H., son of Seth and Betsey Boudon (Gile) Fogg, and grew to man’s estate in Gilmanton, whither his parents removed when he was young. He was a carpenter, and from the time of his marriage until 1857 he worked at his trade in Manchester, this State. After residing for a time in Belmont, he came in 1859 to Hopkinton, purchased from his brother-in-law, Seth George Emerson, the Emerson homestead, and was subsequently engaged in agriculture until his death, which occurred June 4, 1873. Mrs. Fogg has since resided on the farm. She has had three children, namely: George Henry, who died at the age of nineteen years; Lizzie Adella; and Frank Emerson Fogg. Lizzie Adella was educated at Tilton Seminary, from which she graduated with the class of 1878. Since that time she has been engaged as a teacher in Hopkinton, making her home with her widowed mother. Frank Emerson Fogg, now an attorney-at-law in Grangeville, Idaho, completed his education at Ann Arbor, Mich., having graduated from the law department of the State University, class of 1880. He was Circuit Court Commissioner of Charlevoix County, Michigan, from 1884 to 1888, and Prosecuting Attorney Charlevoix County from 1888 to 1890. Removing to Idaho, he practised at Rathdrum from 1891 to 1893. Then he went to Grangeville, where he has followed his profession since. He married February 28, 1886, Eliza Ann Scroggie, of Charlevoix, Mich.; and they have four bright and interesting children-Essie V., James Sherburne, Miriam S., and William Frank.