Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hiram N. Hayward, Librarian of the Silsby Free Public Library at Acworth, N.H., was born in this town, April 6, 1837. His parents, Joseph and Patty G. (Slader) Hayward, were also natives of Acworth.
His paternal grandfather, Jacob Hayward, was born in Bridgewater, Mass. From Mitchell’s history of that early settled town in Plymouth County we learn that he was the third in direct line to bear the name of the Hebrew patriarch, and that he was the sixth in descent from Thomas Hayward, the immigrant progenitor, who was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater. Nathaniel Hayward, son of Thomas, was the father of Benjamin, whose son, Deacon Jacob, born in 1712, had a son Jacob, born in 1738. This second Jacob Hayward married Joanna Snell, and, as the old record has it, “removed from town.” The Acworth historian notes his coming to Acworth about 1788.
Jacob Hayward, third, who was by occupation a farmer, probably came here with his parents when a young man. He died July 5, 1836, Esther Finlay, of Londonderry, N.H., who died January 25, 1862. This couple had thirteen children: Betsey, Laura, Sally, Patty, Hiram, Polly, Harvey, Susan, Emeline, Joseph, Louisa, Nancy, and Fanny.
Joseph Hayward, Hiram N. Hayward’s father, was born March 16, 1810. A lifelong resident of Acworth, he followed the pursuit of agriculture up to the time of his death, which took place June 11, 1888. His wife, who was born May 2, 1815, was a daughter of Thomas and Philharma (Grout) Slader. Mr. Slader also was a farmer. He died in 1865, having been three times married. Mrs. Hayward had two sisters-Betsey and Philharma. She died January 31, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hayward were the parents of eight children, Hiram N. being the eldest. The second child, Martha A., was born March 18, 1839, and died December 25, 1855; the third, Laura A., was born October 28, 1841, and died May 18, 1860; the fourth, Sylvanus A., born February 10, 1844, is a successful and popular teacher, living in West Harwich, Mass. He was married January 11, 1874, to Miss Alice Smith, and has two children: Warren L., born August 20, 1879; and Annie Louise, born October 27, 1883. The fifth child, Charles Jacob Hayward, born September 10, 1846, was founder, president, and principal of Hayward Commercial College at St. Louis, Mo., which was established in 1876. He died in December, 1893. On July 14, 1875, he was married to Alice C. Whitney, who now resides in Boston. The sixth child, Leavitt F., who was born September 13, 1850, succeeded his brother as president and principal of Hayward College. He married Miss Margaret Mooney. The seventh child of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hayward, Lizzie Esther, born August 30, 1853, died February 7, 1889. She was the wife of S. L. Holden, of Charlestown, N.H., who is now in Wisconsin. The youngest child, Angie M., born January 5, 1867, is the wife of Abner G. Livingston, a farmer of Acworth.
Hiram N. Hayward acquired his education in the common schools of Acworth. He left home when he attained his majority, and worked at farming for some time; and he subsequently purchased his father’s farm. In 1882 he moved to his present homestead, where he carries on agricultural pursuits. He has always taken an interest in educational matters, and given his aid to every worthy project calculated to advance the higher interests of the community. In 1892 he was appointed Librarian of the Silsby Library, of which he is also Treasurer and Trustee; and no more efficient or popular official could be found. The Silsby Library was the gift of Ithiel Homer Silsby, of Acworth, who was proprietor of the old Winthrop House in Boston, that was burned in 1866. The library is a beautiful structure of brick and marble; and the interior furnishings include twenty-eight life-size portraits of old leading citizens of Acworth, and a rare collection of stuffed birds. The library was dedicated in August, 1892.
Mr. Hayward was married October 16, 1862, to Ann S., daughter of Chapin Kidder and Pamelia (Graham) Brooks. She was born in Lunenburg, Vt., December 5, 1835. Mr. Brooks was born in Alstead, N.H., December 18, 1804. He was a farmer, shoemaker, merchant, and general manager of a shoe factory, and was what is called a forehanded man, being possessed of means beyond his immediate needs. He removed to Acworth in 1844, and died here, December 3, 1881. His wife, who was born in Rutland, Mass., March 15, 1814, died November 28, 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks Ann S. (Mrs. Hayward); Jane, wife of Freeman F. Hayward; William; John G.; and Henry A. William Brooks is a member of the firm of Prentiss, Brooks & Co., of Holyoke, Mass., wholesale dealers in grain, hay, and produce. He married Miss Nettie E. Keyes, of Lempster, N.H. John G. is a lecturer at Harvard College. He married Mrs. Helen Washburn, widow of Francis Washburn and daughter of Amos Lawrence. Henry A. Brooks, who was a surveyor, went West in 1870, and has not since been heard from. Mr. and Mrs. Hayward have no children. Mr. Hayward is an active and popular Republican. He has been Selectman ten years, Town Clerk four years, Town Treasurer two years, and is now a member of the School Board; and he was County Commissioner from 1887 to 1893, and in the legislature in 1880 and 1881. He is an active member of the Congregational church, to which his wife also belongs.