Thomas R. Prentiss was born in Langdon, N. H., in 1803, and came to Alstead about 1834. He followed mercantile pursuits about ten years, and subsequently engaged in the manufacture of paper. In company with his son, Frederick L., he built a paper-mill upon the site of the one destroyed by fire in 1868, and which was in turn destroyed, in 1881. He died September 27, 1899. Two of his eight children are living, viz.: Lewis M., in Chicago, and Frederick L., in this town. The latter served as a drummer during the late war, and is the present town clerk.