Samuel Rose, born at Groton, Conn., in 1786, married Mary Brooks, a native of Norwich, Conn., and came to Hinsdale in 1810. He located on “Meeting-house hill,” now Brattleboro street, and built the house now occupied by Londus Doolittle. Here he lived a few years, working at his trade of carpenter and builder, then built a two-story house on the site now occupied by the fine Union school building, and entered into a co-partnership with Samuel Spencer, in operating a grist and saw-mill, and carried on an extensive business for that time. in the manufacture and sale of lumber. He early took an active interest in the public affairs of the town, and was associated with Obed Slate and Emerson Burnham, on the board of selectmen, for a period of about fifteen years, and was also a captain of a cavalry company. In 1834 he removed to Hudson, N. Y., where he engaged in the grocery business, and in farming. He died while on a visit to his son, Samuel B., at Clinton, Mich., in 1865, aged seventy-nine years, and was buried in Hudson.