Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Col. Cyrus Kingsbury, from Worcester, Mass., came to Alstead in 1785. He married, first Annas S. Taynter, and second, Philete Partridge, rearing five sons and one daughter. He held a military commission for a considerable time, served as deacon of the Baptist church, and represented the town a number of years, and finally, in 1814, removed to Bloomfield, N. Y., where he soon after died. His family returned to Alstead. Cyrus, Jr., the only child of the Colonel’s first wife, though a cripple from his birth and ever afflicted with ill health, graduated at Brown University. R. a.. and subsequently at Andover Theological Seminary, and, in 1816, went as missionary among the Western Indians, where he spent the remainder of his life. He established a flourishing station among the Cherokees, called Brainard, and two among the Choctaws, called respectively, Elliot and Mayhew. Joseph, a half-brother of Cyrus, Jr., spent his life in Alstead. Originally a Whig in politics, he became a Republican on the organization of that party, represented the town in the legislature, and held various local offices. He died in 1865, aged seventy-six years. He married Keziah, daughter of Lieut. Ephraim Kingsbury, who bore him one son and five daughters. Two of the daughters, Clarissa (Mrs. William Howard), and H. Sophia P. (Mrs. T. Tufts), reside in town, and Harriet M. (Glickmyer), in Brooklyn, N. Y., and Annas S. in Concord, N. H.