Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hon. George W. Brown, farmer, Section 8, Township 18, Range 8 west, P. O. Moss Side, was born March 9, 1842, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. While he was an infant, his parents moved to Harrison County, Ohio, where he resided until twenty-five years old. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company K, Sixty-ninth Ohio Infantry, serving over three years in the army of the Cumberland. Was with Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea. After his discharge, he returned to his home, and afterward attended the law Department of Ann Arbor University. He was then admitted to the bar in Ohio, and engaged there in the practice of law. He has also been admitted to the bar in Nebraska. He married, April 28, 1869, Miss Rachel A. Craig, who was born in that county. They have three children living–Ellis G., Clara and Bertha. On the day of his marriage, he and his wife started West. He located near Columbus, in Platte County, living there eight years. He then moved to Boone County, taking, as a homestead, the land on which he now lives. He has a fine farm of 560 acres, lying along Timber Creek, and well fitted for farming and raising live stock. He has 110 acres in cultivation, and eighty acres in pasture and under fence. He is quite largely interested in livestock, having over 300 head of sheep, besides a considerable number of cattle and hogs. He is a stanch Republican, and one of the most prominent leaders of that party in Boone County. He was elected, in 1880, to the Legislature from the old Forty-fifth Representative District, serving with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He was a member of the committee on constitutional amendments. He is a member of Caddel Post, No. 74, G. A. R., at Cedar Rapids, Boone County.