Reservation: Grande Ronde
Tribes: Kalapuya (Calapooya),
Clackamas, Cow Creek (Nahankhuotana),
Lakmiut, Mary's River (Chepenafa), Molala
(Molalla), Nestucca, Rogue River (Chasta),
Santiam, Shasta (Chastacosta ), Tumwater,
Umpqua, Wapato, Yamhill (Yamel).
Established by: Treaties of Jan. 22,
1855 (x, 1143), and Dec. 21,1855 (xii, 982);
Executive order, June 30, 1857. 440 acres
were reserved for government use and 33,148
acres allotted to 269 Indians. Act of Apr.
28, 1904 (xxxiii, 567), amending and
ratifying agreement of June 27, 1901.
Tribes: Klamath, Modoc, Paiute, Pit
River (Achomawi), Walpape (Walpapi), and
Yahuskin band of Snakes (Shoshoni).
Established by: Treaty of Oct. 14,
1864 (xvi, 707). 177,719.62 acres were
allotted to 1,174 Indians, and 6,094.77
acres reserved for agency, school, and
church purposes. The residue, 872,186 acres,
unallotted and unreserved. Act of May
27,1902 (xxxii, 260); Indian appropriation
act approved Apr. 21, 1904 (xxxiii, 202);
act of Mar. 3, 1905 (xxxiii, 1033). Lands
now in process of allotment.
Tribes: Alsea, Coquille (Mishikhwutmetunne),
Kusan, Kawasami, Rogue River (Chasta),
Skoton, Shasta (Chastacosta), Saiustkea (Shinwauk?),
Siuslaw, Tututni, Umpqua, and thirteen
Established by: Unratified treaty of
Aug. 11, 1855; Executive orders, Nov.
9,1855, and Dec. 21,1865; act of Mar. 3,1875
(xviii, 446); agreement of Oct. 31, 1892,
ratified by act of Aug. 15,1894 (xxviii,
323). 47,716.34 acres were allotted to 551
Indians; the residue of 177,563.66 acres,
except 5 sections, was ceded to United
States (President's proclamation of May 16,
1895, xxix, 866). Acts of May 31, 1900
(xxxi, 233), and Mar. 3,1901 (xxxi, 1085).
Tribes: Cayuse, Umatilla, Wallawalla
Established by: Treaty of June 9,
1855 (xii, 945); act of Aug. 5, 1882 (xxii.
297); act of Mar. 3, 1885 (xxiii, 340); act
of Oct. 17, 1888 (xxv, 559); orders of
Secretary of the Interior, Dec. 4, 1888.
76,933.90 acres were allotted to 893 Indians
and 980 acres reserved for school and
mission purposes. Act of July 1, 1902
Reservation: Warm Springs
Tribes: Des Chutes (Tyich), John Day,
Paiute, Tenino, Warm Springs (Tilknni),
Established by: Treaty of June
25,18.55 (xii. 963). 140,696.45 acres were
allotted to 969 Indians, and 1,195 acres
reserved for church, school, and agency
purposes. The residue, 322,108 acres,
unalloted and unreserved.
Notes About the Book:
Source: The Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico,
Frederick Webb Hodge. 1906, Bureau of American Ethnology, Government Printing
Online Publication: The manuscript was scanned and
then ocr'd. Minimal editing has been done, and readers can and should expect
some errors in the textual output.
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative
stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place.
These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be
interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes