Swallah Indians. A name applied by Eells (1889). Also called:
- Swalash, by Mallet (in Ind. Aff. Rep., 1877, p. 198).
Swallah Connections. The Swallah belonged to the coastal division of the Salishan linguistic family.
Swallah Location. On Orcas Island and San Juan Island and the group to which they belong.
- Hutta’tchl, on the southeast end of Orcas Island.
- Klala’kamish, on the east side of San Juan Island.
- Lemaltcha, on Waldron Island.
- Stashum, on Waldron Island.
MLA Source Citation:Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin 145. Washington DC: US Government Printing Office. 1953. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 18 December 2014. http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/swallah-indians.htm - Last updated on Jul 4th, 2012
Our "rules" are simple. Keep the conversation on subject and mind your manners! If this is your first time posting, we do moderate comments before we let them appear... so give us a while to get to them. Once we get to know you here, we'll remove that requirement.