Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Leaving the Onondaga Reservation the warriors turned north for the City of Syracuse. In a park beside one of their main streets near the New York Central Railroad, the warriors saw a small stone memorial. This was erected by the citizens of Syracuse in honour of the Onondaga Indians who saved the early white settlers of that city from death by hunger and sickness. The stone bore the inscription: Monument to Onondaga Indians, Syracuse, New York
To the Onondaga Indians: In 1793 out of a total population of thirty-three inhabitants in the Village of Salina, thirty persons were sick. The remaining three inhabitants with the help of neighborly and friendly Onondaga Indians took care of the sick for two months. In the following year the population had grown to sixty three persons, of whom twenty three died that year. This tablet is placed in grateful appreciation of helpful assistance of the Onondagas to the pioneer settlers of here in founding the City of Syracuse. – Erected by the state Education Dept., Syracuse Chapter of S. A. R., and City of Syracuse, 1934.
From Syracuse the Mohawks once more headed down the Great Central Trail of the Iroquois to the City of Auburn. There, in the Fort Hill Cemetery, Fort Street, Auburn, the warriors saw the remains of a huge Indian mound in the center of which was a gigantic stone shaft monument erected to a great Cayuga Chief named Logan.