Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hunkpatina Indians (Hunkpatina – campers at the end of the circle ). One of the two primary divisions of the Yanktonai Sioux, commonly known as Lower Yanktonai, from their former range on lower James River of eastern South Dakota. The Hunkpatina are seemingly referred to for the first time, in whole or in part, by Lewis and Clark, in 1804, under the name Honetaparteen, as a division of the Yankton of the N. They were on intimate terms with the Upper Yanktonai, who ranged about the upper waters of the James. They are now chiefly on Crow Creek Reservation, South Dakota, where they numbered 1,009 in 1905. In 1866 they were estimated at 2,100. Some others appear to be attached to Standing Rock Agency, North Dakota.
Bands of the Hunkpatina
The Hunkpatina Tribe was broken down into bands. Their bands, as given by J. O. Dorsey1 , are:
- Putetemini (Sweat-lips)
- Shungikcheka (Common dogs)
- Takhuhayuta ( Eat-the-scrapings-of-hides)
- Sangona (Shot-at-some- white-object)
- Ihasha (Red-lips)
- Iteghu (Burnt-face)
- Pteyuteshni ( Eat-no-buff a-lo-cows)
Dorsey, 15th Rep. B. A. E., 218, 1897 ↩