C- Pennsylvania Indian Villages, Towns and
A complete listing of all the Indian villages,
towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Catawaweshink. A former village, probably of the
Delawares, on or near Susquehanna r., near Big Island, Pa. Post (1758) in
Kauffman, West. Pa., app., 96, 1851.
Catawissa. Probably a
Conoy village, as Conyngham (Day,
Perm., 243, 1843) says the Conoy "had a wigwam on the Catawese at Catawese,
now Catawissa." in Columbia co. , Pa. The name is probably derived from
Piscatawese, a later designation for the Conoy.
Catfish Village. A former settlement, probably of the Delawares, on
Cattish run, a short distance N. of the site of Washington, Washington co., Pa.;
so called, according to Day (Penn., 666, 1843), from a half-blood who settled
there about the middle of the 18th century. See Royce in 18th Rep. B. A. E.,
pi. clx 1900.
Cepowig. A village in 1608, perhaps be longing to the
Conestoga, located by Guss in or near York co., Pa. Smith (1629), Va., i,
Chinklacamoose (possibly Chingua-kla-kamoos,
large laughing moose. Hewitt). A village, perhaps belonging to the Delawares, on
the site of Clearfield, Clearfield co., Pa., before 1805. It probably took its
name from a chief. The Seneca of Cornplanter's village also frequented the
Clistowacka. A Delaware village formerly near
Bethlehem, Pa. Loskiel (1742) in Day, Perm., 517, 1843.
Conejoholo ( a kettle on a long upright object,
Hewitt). A Conoy village, identical with the Dekanoagah of Evans, which Day
locates on the E. bank of the Susquehanna, on or near the site of Bainbridge,
Lancaster co., Pa. The Conoy removed to Conejoholo from their former home on the
Potomac about 1700 and again removed farther up the Susquehanna before 1743. (J.
Conemaugh. There seems formerly to have been a Delaware
(?) village of this name about the present Conemaugh, on Kiskiminetas r.,
Cambria co., Pa.
Conneaut. A village composed of
Onondaga and Missisauga and other
Algonquian immigrants, situated on Conneaut lake, Pa. , in the 18th century.
Connewango (at the falls). (1) A Seneca village that
stood on the site of Warren, Pa., and was destroyed by Col. Brodhead in 1781.
(2) A former Seneca village on the left bank of Alleghany r. , above the site of
Tionesta, Forest co. , Pa. Both villages belonged to the division of the Seneca
known as Cornplanter's band.
village formerly on Susquehanna r. in "Pennsylvania, between Conejoholo
(Bainbridge) and Shamokin (Sunbury). In 1744 the Conoy abandoned it after but a
short stay there and removed to the last named place. Brinton, Lenape Leg.,
Cussewago. A village of the Seneca and of remnants of
other wandering tribes, situated in 1750 where Ft Le Boeuf was afterward built,
on the site of the present Waterford, Erie co., Pa.
Custaloga's Town. The Delawares had two villages, each
known as Custaloga's Town, from the name of its chief, probably one and the same
person. The first village was near French cr., opposite Franklin, Venango co.,
Pa., in 1760; the other was on Walhonding r., near Killbucks cr., in Coshocton
co., Ohio, in 1766. The chief of this second village was chief of the
Unalachtigo Delawares, and had probably removed from the first village about
1763. The name is also written Costeloga, Custalaga, Custologa, Custologo,
Kustaloga. (J. M.)
the Untied States | Pennsylvania Indian
includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes
reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These
items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be
interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico