A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Guacata. An inland Calusa village on L. “Mayaimi,” or Okechobee, s. Fla., about 1570. Elsewhere in his memoir Fontaneda refers to it as a distinct but subordinate tribe.
Guale. The Indian name by which the Spaniards knew the present Amelia id. N. coast of Florida, and a part of the adjacent Florida and Georgia coast, in the 16th century. There is strong probability that the tribe in occupancy was that known later as Yamasi. In 1597 the son of the chief of Guale led a revolt against the missions that had been established by the Spanish Franciscans a few years before. There were then on the island at least 3 mission villages Asao, Asopo, and Ospo. The missions were reestablished in 1605 and may have continued until their destruction by the English and their Indian allies in 1704-06. (J.M)
Guancane. Mentioned by Garcilasso de la Vega (Florida, 201, 1723) as a province visited by De Soto’s army in 1542. Situated probably in s. w. Arkansas, near Naguatex, q. v.
Guarungunve (town of weeping) .A Calusa village on one of the keys of the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Brinton (Floridian Penin., 114, 1859) thinks the word is another name for Old Matacumbe (Metacumbe) key, described by Romans (1775) as one of the last refuges of the Calusa Indians. (J.M.)
Guaya. A former village of the Calusa confederacy near the s. end of Florida (Fontaneda, ca. 1575, in Ternaux-Compans, Voy., xx, 22, 23, 1841). The village is not given in B. Smith s translation of Fontaneda’s narrative.
Guevu. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570.