- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
C- North Carolina Indian Villages, Towns and Settlements
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In Native American | No Comments
A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Canuga The name of two former Cherokee towns, one, a Lower Cherokee settlement, apparently on the waters of Keowee r., S. C., destroyed in 1761; the other a traditional settlement on Pigeon r., probably near the present Waynesville, Hay wood co., N. C. Mooney in 19th Rep. B. A. E., 479, 524, 1900.
Catatoga (corruption of Gatu′gitse′yĭ, new settlement place ) . A former Cherokee settlement on Cartoogaja cr., to which it gave its name, a tributary of Little Tennessee r., above Franklin, in Macon co., N. C. Mooney in 19th Rep. B. A. E., 519, 1900.
Catoking. A village, probably belonging to the Chowanoc, situated about Gatesville, Gates co., N. C., in 1585. Smith (1629), Va., i, map, repr. 1819.
Cawruuoc. A village in 1585, perhaps belonging to the Neusiok, and seemingly situated on the N. side of Neuse r., in the present Craven co., N. C.
Chattooka. A village of the Neuse Indians, formerly on the site of Newbern, N. C. Graffenried bought the tract from the owners in 1710 and planted a German colony on it, the Indians withdrawing probably to the Tuscarora, with whom they were on intimate terms, (J. M.)
Chepanoc. A village of the Weapomeioc in ]586 on Albemarle sd., in Perquimans co., N. C.
Chunaneets. A Tuscarora village in North Carolina in 1701. Lawson (1709), N. C., 383, 1860.
Conauhkare. A Tuscarora village in North Carolina in 1701. Lawson (1709) N. C., 383, 1860.
Contahnah (a pine in the water. Hewitt). A Tuscarora village near the mouth of Neuse r., N. C., in 1701.
Cossarl. Marked by Jefferys (French Dom. Am., i, map, 134, 1761) as a native town on the extreme head of Yadkin r., in the mountains of N. w. North Carolina. Unidentified.
Cotan. An Algonquian village in 1585 about Ransomville, Beaufort co., N. C.
Coteclney. A town and palisade of the Tuscarora in North Carolina, which be came noted in their war of 1711-18; situated, according to Hawks, on the site of Ft Barnwell, but according to Graffenried the town lay about 3 m. from the palisade, evidently on the opposite side of the Neuse, about the mouth of Contentnea cr., the name of which is probably a form of Cotechney. It was a large town, the residence of Hancock, one of the principal Tuscarora chiefs. Here Lawson and Graffenried were prisoners in 1711, and it was the scene of the execution of the former. On the outbreak of the Tuscarora war the inhabitants abandoned the town and entrenched them selves in the palisade, which was attacked by Barnwell, Jan. 28, 1712, when 400 of its defenders were killed or taken. Instead of completing his work, Barnwell, to save the lives of white prisoners held in the fort, made a worthless treaty with the remainder, who at once joined the other hostiles. (J. N. B. H.)
Croatan. A village in 1585 on an inland then called by the same name, which appears to have been that on which C. Lookout is situated, on the coast of Carteret co., N. C. The inhabitants seem to have been independent of the chiefs of Secotan. It is thought that the lost colony of Lane, on Roanoke id., joined them and that traces of the mixture were discernible in the later Hatteras Indians. (J. M.)
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes implied .
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/c-north-carolina-indian-villages-towns-and-settlements.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.