Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Chekase’s Village. A former Potawatomi village on the w. side of Tippecanoe r. , between Warsaw and Monoquet, Kosciusko co. , Ind. The reserve on which it was situated was sold in 1836. The name, which is also spelled Checose and Chicase (cha‛kosi, 1 short of stature), is that of a chief who formerly resided there. (J. M.)
Chichipé Outipé (Chippewa has Titi-pē·u·ntipē, ‘curly-head’. W. J.). A large Potawatomi village in 1838 near South Bend, St Joseph co., Ind. (J. M.)
Chippekawkay. A Piankishaw village, in 1712, on the site of Vincennes, Knox co., Ind. Hough translates the word brushwood, and it may be identical with Pepicokia. (J. M.)
Chippoy. A former Potawatomi village on Big Shawnee cr., in Fountain co., Ind. It was settled after 1795, and the site was included in a tract sold in 1818 by the Miami. (J. M.)
Choppatee’s Village. A former Miami village on the w. bank of St Joseph r., a few miles from Ft Wayne, Allen co., Ind. Named after a chief who resided there. The tract was granted to J. B. Boure, an interpreter, by treaty of Oct. 23, 1826.
Comoza. A former Potawatomi village on Tippecanoe r., in Fulton co., Ind. The reserve on which it was situated was sold in 1834. The name was that of a chief. Also spelled Camoza.
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes implied .
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906