Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The subject of this sketch was born February 18, 1851, at Louisville, Kentucky, the only son of the late Rev. Mason D. Williams and Caroline M. Fitch. Rev. Mr. Williams was organizer and pastor of the Fourth Presbyterian Church, Louisville, and died in 1852. His son, Mason Fitch, graduated from Princeton College, New Jersey, in 1871, and came to the Creek Nation, Indian Territory. In 1875 he took his degree as doctor of medicine from the University of Louisville, Ky., and commenced the practice of medicine in Muskogee, Indian Territory. In 1881 he took charge of a drug store at that place, the business being his own, and also continued his professional practice until the fire of 1887, in which he lost his stock of goods. After that he entered the ministry and took charge of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is at present the pastor. Mr. Williams married Mrs. Mary E. Worcester Mason, widow of Dr. Charles Y. Mason, of Mississippi, March 9, 1872. By this marriage they had three children, two of whom are living, Henry Cummings, born October 4, 1873, and Leonard Worcestor, born July 8, 1875. Mrs. Williams is the youngest daughter of Samuel Austin Worcestor, D. D. (prominent in Cherokee history), and sister of Mrs. A. E. W. Robertson, of Muskogee. Rev. Mr. Williams is a man of fine physique, about five feet eight inches in height and weighing 175 pounds. His address is courteous and his manners refined and affable. His education is varied and extensive. Before joining the ministry, his reputation as a physician was such as to insure him the largest practice in the country, while he undoubtedly was among the few most skillful practitioners in the Indian Territory. Since taking charge of the Presbyterian Church, Mr. Williams has increased the membership from fifty to eighty-five. He has also been instrumental in the many improvements and remodeling and seating of the church. He is local surgeon for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and his ministerial work covers a radius of about eight miles. His medical practice is now chiefly confined to the poor, and to the inmates of the Presbyterian school and United States jail.