- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
A- Florida Indian Villages, Towns and Settlements
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In Native American | No Comments
A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Abayoa. A Tequesta village at the south extremity of Florida peninsula, mentioned in connection with the expedition of Ponce de Leon (1512. Barcia, Ensayo, 2, 1723.
Acela. A small village in w. central Florida, visited by De Soto in 1539. Ocilla r. derives its name from the place. See Gentleman of Elvas (1557) in French, Hist. Coll. La., n, 129, 1850.
Agacay. A former Timuquanan town on St Johns r., Florida, about 150 m. from the mouth. Fontaneda (1565) in French, Hist. Coll. La., 2d s., 264, 1875.
Agua Fresca ( Span. : fresh water ) . A Timuquanan district in N. Florida about the year 1600. Pareja (1614), Arte Tim., xxi, 1886.
Ahapopka ( eating the ahi, or bog potato) . A former Seminole town, probably on or near the lake of the same name and near the head of Ocklawaha r., N. central Florida.
Ahosulga. A former Seminole town 5 m. s. of New Mickasuky town, probably in Lafayette co., Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74 (1823), 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Alachua. A former Seminole town in what is now Alachua co., Fla. It was settled by Creeks from Oconee, on Oconee r., Ga., about 1710. The name was subsequently extended so as to cover other small villages in the district, which collectively are frequently mentioned as a tribe, whose principal town w r as Cuscowilla. The Alachua Indians offered lively resistance to the encroachments of the white colonists in 1812-18 and took a prominent part in the Seminole war of 1835-42. (A. S. G. H. W. H.)
Alafiers (ala= ‘buckeye tree’) . A Seminole town near Alafia r., an affluent of Tampa bay, Fla. Its inhabitants, few in number, appear to have been led by Chief Alligator, and the “Alligators” may have been the same people. They took part in the Seminole war of 1835-42. (H. W. H.)
Alapaha. A former Seminole town in Hamilton co., Fla., on Allapaha r. It was once under Chief Okmulgee, who died before 1820. (H. W. H.)
Alimacani. A Timuquanan village on the Florida coast, N. of St Johns r., in 1565.
Allapata. An unidentified town formerly on Hillsboro r., K. Fla. Brion de la Tour, War map, 1782.
Alligator. A former Seminole town in Suwannee co., Fla.
Alouko. A former Seminole town on the E. side of St Marks r., 20 in. N of St Marks, Wakulla co., Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74 (1823), 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Anacharaqua. A village in Florida, subject to Utina, chief of the Timucua, in 1564. The De Bry map places it E. of lower St Johns r.
Anouala. According to Le Moyne (De Bry, map, 1591) a village in 1564 on a w. branch of St Johns r. , Fla. , in the territory occupied generally by tribes of the Timuquanan family.
Apalou. An unidentified village near the mouth of St Johns r., Fla., in 1564. Laudonnière in French, Hist. Coll. La., n. s., 315, 1869.
Apukasasocha (apoka= ‘settlement’). A former Seminole town of which Enehemathlochee was chief in 1823, situated 20 m. w. of the head of St Johns r., central Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74, 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Aquacalecuen. A Timuquanan village near Suwannee r., N. w. Fla., visited by De Soto in 1539. Biedma (1544) in French, Hist. Coll. La., II, 98, 1850.
Aquile. A village in N. w. Fla. on the border of the Apalachee territory, visited by De Soto in 1539. Biedma (1544) in French, Hist. Coll., n, 98, 1850.
Aquouena. An unidentified town w. of upper St Johns r., Fla., in 1565. De Bry, Brev. Nar., II, map, 1591.
Asao. An unidentified town formerly on Amelia id., Nassau co., N. E. Fla. A mission was established there about 1592 by Spanish Franciscans, but it was destroyed by the natives in their revolt against the missionaries in 1597. Shea, Oath. Miss., 66, 1855.
Asapalaga. A former Seminole village located on some maps on the E. bank of St Marks r., Fla., below Yapalaga. Taylor’s war map places it, probably correctly, on the E. bank of Apalachicola r., in Gadsden co., where Appalaga now is. Asapalaga. Jefferys, French Dom. Am., I, map, 135, 1761.
Asopo. A former village, perhaps on Amelia id., N. E. Florida, the site of a Spanish Franciscan mission destroyed in the Indian revolt of 1597.
Astina. A village in N. Florida in 1564, subject to Utina, head chief of the Timucua (Laudonnière in French, Hist. Coll. La., n. s., 298, 1869). De Bry s map (1590) places it w. of St Johns r.
Attapulgas (Creek: atopۥhalgi, dog wood grove). A former Seminole town on a branch of Oklokonee or Yellow-water r., Fla. A town of the name is now in Decatur co., Ga.
Aute. An Apalachee (?) town on the coast of Apalachee bay, Fla. , first visited by Narvaez in 1528. It has been identified in location with St Marks.
Axille. A former fortified village of 50 houses in N. w. Florida. , visited by De Soto in 1539. It was on a river, doubtless the one which still retains the name Ocilla. The same root may appear in the name of the province, Uzachil. It was on the frontier of the territory of the Apalachee tribe.
Ayavalla. An important Apalachee (or Timacua?) town and mission about 1700. It was destroyed by the English and their Indian allies under Gov. Moore in 1704, or, according to Shea, in the later invasion of 1706. Fairbanks locates it “near the St Mark’s r.,” w. Fla., while Shea in correctly makes it a town of the Atimucas (Timucua) on Apalachicola r. (J. M. )
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes implied .
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/a-florida-indian-villages-towns-and-settlements.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.