Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John J., son of Abram and Jane Enyart, was born near Plattsburg, Clinton county, Missouri, May 15, 1838, and lived there until 1848, when his parents moved to Gentry county, and settled upon a farm in Boyle township. Four years after taking up their residence in Gentry county his father died, and one year later, in 1853, his mother also journeyed to ” that bourne from whence no traveler ere returns.” Thus left alone, he made his home with his half-brother, William Mulligan, until 1857, when he came to Daviess County and lived with his uncle, H. W. Enyart, near Pattonsburg, until 1863, at which time he rented a farm and began work for himself. He followed farming until 1865, then engaged in the mercantile business with Dr. William Pyle, under the name of Pyle & Enyart, carrying on business at Pattonsburg until 1868, when Dr. Pyle retired and C. H. Weldon became his successor, changing the firm name to Weldon & Enyart. After doing business at Pattonsburg one year, this firm removed to Salem, remaining there one year, and next moved to Bancroft, where they continued until 1871, when Mr. Enyart retired from the firm. He returned to Salem, engaged in the mercantile business until 1874, then closed out, rented a farm, and gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, raising and dealing in stock, until 1877. During the years of 1875 and 1876, Mr. Enyart was elected to the office of collector of Salem township, and in August, 1877, was appointed by the County Court, collector of Daviess county, holding the position until November, 1878, when he was elected to fill the office for a term of two years, and gave such complete satisfaction that he was reelected in 1880-; holding that position at this writing.
Mr. Enyart was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Linville, of Daviess county, on the 17th of February, 1863. They have three children living: Claude L., Marion Ethel, and Blanche. Mr. and Mrs. Enyart are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Enyart is a member of the Gallatin Lodge No. 106, A. F. & A. M.; received the Master Mason’s degree at the Pattonsburg Lodge No. 65, in 1865; and was Worshipful Master of Earl Lodge No. 285, at Salem for five years.