Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Dr. Frank A. Glasgow, who for more than forty years has been a representative of the medical profession in St. Louis, where he entered upon active practice following his graduation from the St. Louis Medical College in 1878, was born in this city October 18, 1854, and is a son of William Glasgow, Jr., and Sarah L. (Lane) Glasgow, the latter a daughter of Dr. William Carr Lane, the first mayor of St. Louis and the first governor of New Mexico. In both the paternal and maternal lines Dr. Glasgow is descended from old American families represented on this side of the Atlantic through several generations. His grandfather in the paternal line was the founder of the city of Glasgow, Missouri, which was named in his honor.
Dr. Glasgow acquired his more specifically literary education in the Washington University, completing his Course by graduation in 1875 with the Bachelor of Arts degree. He determined to make the practice of medicine his life work and accordingly became a student of the St. Louis Medical College, gaining his professional degree in 1878. He then studied for two years in Europe, after which he opened an office in his native city, and his record stands in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country and among his own kin, for in the city where his entire life has been passed Dr. Glasgow has won both prominence and success. Aside from his private practice he has become well known as a medical educator, serving for some time as one of the professors in the St. Louis Medical College and as professor of clinical gynecology in Washington University. He has also at different times served on the staff of the Female Hospital, of the Martha Parsons Hospital for Children, the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium and the St. Louis Mullanphy Hospital, of which he is still a representative.
Dr. Glasgow’s military experience came to him as a member of the Police Reserves in 1877 and through eight years’ connection with the Missouri National Guard in the ’70s and ’80s, while in 1917 he became a member of the Home Guard. During the World war he was also appointed on the maternity board. Politically he has largely followed an independent course, although at the present time he is giving his allegiance to the republican party, being in sympathy with the policy which the party is now pursuing. He is well known in club circles as a member of the University and Riverview Clubs and he has membership relations with many of the scientific bodies that have been formed to disseminate medical knowledge and advance the high standards of the profession, being connected with the St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis Surgical Society, Missouri State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the St. Louis Academy of Science, and his professional standing has long rated him with the capable and eminent physicians and surgeons of his native city.