HOMER G. GILMORE. In no part of the world is the flouring industry of greater importance than it is in the United States, nor in any other part of the world can the same excellence of quality of flour be produced. This need not be wondered at. Where is there another country possessing so rich and productive a soil, yielding and in plenty the richest wheat? Indeed, the industry and the importance necessarily attached to it are natural resultants of nature’s generosity. In Christian County, Missouri, the flouring industry is a most important one and foremost among those engaging in it are Messrs. Gilmore & Wasson, proprietors and operators of Riverdale Roller Mills. This firm manufactures the “Gold Coin” and the “Sunrise” brands of flour. The mill has been remodeled recently with all the latest improvements in milling machinery and is now one of the best in the county, having three double sets of rollers of the Livingston manufacture and a wood and iron combination-wheel of the Hawkeye make. Its capacity is sixty barrels per day.
Mr. Gilmore is a practical miller, having been engaged in the business for many years, and all customers can rely on getting what they pay for. Our subject was born at Exeter, Green County, Wisconsin, in 1844, and is a son of John and Rosanna (Good) Gilmore, natives of Ireland and Pennsylvania, respectively, the former born about 1806 and the latter in 1831. John Gilmore was the only son of an only son and was liberally educated in his native country, where he learned the tailor’s trade at an early age, following it through life. He was a great student all his life and was well informed on all the issues of the day. Possessing a retentive memory he was a most interesting conversationalist and was a man far above the average in intelligence. About 1836 he came to the United States and worked at his trade in New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Allegheny City, etc. He was married in that named city, and about 1842 turned his face toward the setting sun. He first stopped in Chicago, then a small town, and only remained there a short time, but long enough to purchase eighty acres of land on which stands the main part of the city, including State Street. For this he paid $100 and held it for a few years, after which he sold it for what he had given. After a year or two in Chicago he removed to Exeter, Wisconsin, where he made his home until 1856, when he took the Kansas fever, and, after rambling over that territory for a time without satisfactory results, he finally located at Maysville, Missouri There he followed his trade until his death in April, 1881. He was a prime mover in all matters of interest and a most worthy and esteemed citizen. Mrs. Gilmore is still living and resides in the neighborhood of Riverdale. Her mother died when she was an infant and her father, Anthony Good, married the second time and died in Allegheny City, Penn. Of the eleven children born to this couple only Mrs. Gilmore and a brother came West.
Homer G. Gilmore is the eldest of ten children, as follows: Mary L., wife of Simon Brady, of Daviess County, Missouri; John F. died at Maysville; Albert A. resides in St. Joseph, Missouri; Edward E. resides in Riverdale; Anson C. left home many years ago and nothing has since been heard of him; Susan A., wife of Kemp Deitrich, of St. Joseph; Emmett M., of this county; Minnie, single, and William, of this county.
Until twelve years of age our subject was reared in Exeter, Wisconsin, and he was favored with a good English education. He came with his parents to Missouri and in June, 1861, he joined Capt. Thomas Smith’s company of Home Guards, serving with the same for about three months. After that he joined Company A, Fifth Missouri Battalion, for six months, operating in north Missouri, and then joined Company A, Sixth Missouri State Militia, for three years, or until the close of the war, operating in Missouri and Arkansas. He fought at Lone Jack, Cotton Gap, etc., and followed Gen. Price in his raid through Missouri as far as Springfield and was in many skirmishes. From Springfield his command went to Rolla, thence to Denver, Colo., and spent nearly a year in the West. He was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., April 18, 1866, after nearly five years of service. He never missed a meal on account of sickness, was always ready for duty, and was a most faithful soldier. Following the war he engaged in farming in north Missouri for two years and then embarked in the milling business, which he continued for some time in Webster County. In 1879 he came to Christian County and soon after purchased the mills he now operates. Mr. Gilmore was married in De Kalb County, Missouri, in 1868, to Miss Lucy A. Lancaster, a native of Ray County, Missouri, and the daughter of Mumford and Sarah A. (Roberts) Lancaster. Her parents came from Kentucky to north Missouri, and in the latter State passed the remainder of their days, the father dying in 1892. He followed the occupation of a merchant and farmer and was a prominent man of De Kalb County, being treasurer of the county for a number of years and also county assessor for some time. His children were named as follows: Littleton R., of St. Joseph; Mrs. Gilmore; Etta, wife of Alonzo Coin; John, of St. Joe; William, of St. Joe; Ida, wife of Isom Artenberry; Edgar, deceased; and several died in infancy.
Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore, as follows: Robert A., deceased; Bertie, deceased; Bessie; Arthur; John, deceased; Lula; Homer, deceased; Frederick, Emma and Edith. Mr. Gilmore is an Odd Fellow, a member of Highlandville Lodge No. 331, and of Col. Geiger Post, G. A. R., No. 294, at Highlandville. He was P. C. and is now adjutant.