William G. Stewart is a native of Alleghany county, Pennsylvania, born September 14, 1820, near the city of Pittsburgh. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. Stewart was engaged in farming in his native State until 1850, at which time he purchased land in Muskingum county, Ohio, where he remained fifteen years, raising stock and farming. He came to Daviess county in 1866, and settled in Monroe township. Since that time he has been a resident of the county, and has been largely interested in raising stock and in improving and developing his land. He now owns a fine farm, seven miles south of Gallatin, where he resides.
Mr. Stewart’s last marriage occurred October 21, 1875, when he was united to Miss Mary M. Pierce, at that time a resident of Muskingum county, Ohio. Mr. Stewart is the father of eight children: Albert, George, David T., James, Sarah A., Elmer C., Lewellyn and Bertha May.