The subject of this sketch was barn in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, May 29, 1836, and was reared and educated in his native County. On starting in life for himself, Mr. Lewis commenced fanning and continued that and lumbering, till October, 1851. He then went to Champaign County, Illinois, where he continued the lumber business till 1855. From there he went to Mahaska County, Iowa, but only made a short stay, when he went to Poweshiek County, and engaged in shingle-making at Montezuma. In 1857, he came to Daviess County, where he still continues to reside, engaged in farming. He owns a farm of 230 acres of well improved laud in Liberty Township which he manages successfully and profitably.
Mr. Lewis was married, in Daviess County, November 28, 1856, to Miss M. E. Fary. His wife died September 15, 1863. On March 15th, 1864, lie was united in marriage to Miss N. A. Covington. She died, December 9, 1876. Mr. Lewis is the father of six children. He takes great interest in stock-raising, especially of horses (of which he has some fine specimens), averaging, in sales, from fifteen to twenty per annum.