Hull, Plymouth County,
Hull was incorporated in 1644, and in its early days was a place of some
The first minister settled in Hull, it is supposed, was Mr. Matthews. He was
succeeded by Zachariah Whitman, settled in 1670; and Samual Veasie, settled in
1753, dismissed 1763.
It is the smallest town territorially in the State, except Newburyport, and
the smallest in population, except Gosnold. It is located on the peninsula of
Nantasket, and nearly all the islands in Boston harbor belong to this town. Very
few people realize how short a distance it is from Long Wharf, Boston, to
Plymouth County. The town is formed of five small hills, connected by very
narrow necks of land. The principal settlement is on Nantasket head.
Several large and popular summer hotels, among them the "Oregon" and the
"Rockland House," have been erected here within a few years, and the town has
become a popular resort.
For many years the vote of Hull indicated the relative strength of political
parties, in Massachusetts elections, until it passed into a proverb: "As goes
Hull, so goes the State."
Hull did her whole duty in the war for the preservation of the Union, raising
22 soldiers and 2 sailors. Three men were lost in service.
Sergt. Ansel P. Loring, E, 47th, killed on duty near New
Orleans, June 24th, 1863, his body having been found floating in the
Mississippi, with shot wounds through the head
Nathaniel E. Hooper, F, 20th, killed at Fredericksburg, Dec. 11th, 1862
John M. Cleverly, A, 3d R. I. Cavalry, at Charity Hospital, New Orleans, of
Notes About Book:
Source: Plymouth County Directory and Historical Register of the Old Colony,
Middleboro, Mass: Published By Stillman B. Pratt & Company, 1867.
Notes about Online Publication: This manuscript has been ocr'd and heavily
edited. Many of the Native American words have been reproduced as clearly as
online publication will allow us, but not all are exactly the way they were in
the original work. The structure of this manuscript has been changed to allow
better online presentation.