Hanover, Plymouth County,
Settled in 1649, Hanover was not incorporated until 1727. Nearly all its
territory was originally a part of Scituate. The town was named in honor of the
Duke of Hanover, afterwards King George the First. The first settlement was at
the Four Corners, and along the North and Indian Head rivers, William Barstow,
shipwright, being a pioneer. The outlines of his cellar are still visible. His
grandson Benjamin, had a family of twenty-one children. The piers of the first
bridge built over North River, in 1662, may still be seen. Ship-building was
commenced here as early as 1660, by the Barstow family, some of whom afterwards
moved to Mattapoisett, and carried on the same business. Barstow's forge, (now
Sylvester's), was erected in 1720. The Curtis Forge was erected in l704, by the
Burdens, who came from Scotland.
There were seven Indian nations in New England. The Wampanoags, divided into
32 tribes, with 3000 warriors, under Massasoit, occupied south-eastern
Massachusetts. The Massachusetts, with 3000 warriors, under Chickatabut,
occupied the territory from Duxbury mill to Titicut, thence to Nippenicket Pond,
Bridgewater, and then in a straight line to Whitney's Pond in Wrentham. It was
from the latter Sachem that Scituate and Hanover were purchased, in 1653. Jos.
Barstow's house, in 1674, was garrisoned by twelve men. Indian burying grounds
existed, on Pine Island and back of Assinippi Hall.
Religious services were held at private residences, in 1727. A building 48 by
38 feet, was erected in 1728. At this time common schools were kept in private
Benj. Bass, was the minister of the First Parish, from 1728 till 1756; Sam'l.
Baldwin, 1756-1780; John Miller, 1784-1805; Calvin Chaddock, 1806-1818; Seth
Chapin, 1819-1824; followed by Ethan Smith, Abel G. Duncan and Joseph Freeman,
The Episcopal services were first held in Scituate, 1725. St. Andrew's Church
was established at Hanover "Corners," in 1810. Rectors, Joab G. Cooper,
1811-1816; Calvin Wolcott, 1818-1834; Samuel G. Appleton, 1835-1838; Eleazer A.
Greenleaf, 1839-1841; Samuel Cutler, present incumbent.
In 1812, the Universalist Society, one of the first of the order in the
County, was incorporated. H. C. Wood, present pastor.
The Baptist Church was constituted Feb. 17th, 1806. Present pastor, Andrew
Rev. James Aiken is pastor of the Second Congregational Church. Few towns in
the state can show a larger proportion of pleasant, attractive, country
residences than Hanover. There is unmistakable evidence that the previous
generation was one of thrift and success.
In 1807, the first Hanover Academy was erected, and in 1852, the present
Hanover soldiers did good service in the Revolution. The well-known Artillery
Company was formed in 1798.
In 1754, there were eight male and nine female slaves in Hanover. Not only
were blacks, but Indians held in bondage. Tradition says Job Tilden raised
slaves for the market. Cuffee Josselyn a slave of Col. Joseph Josselyn died in
the almshouse, in 1831, aged 103.
David Prouty commenced here, the manufacture of the first cast-iron ploughs.
The burial ground at the Center, is the oldest in town. It has lately been
The new rail road, shown on our Country map, from No. Abington to Hanover
Four Corners, was commenced in 1865.
Note. From the History of Hanover, published by Rev. John S. Barry, in 1853
we glean the above items.
Note. For list of deceased soldiers and sailors see Appendix.
Notes About Book:
Source: Plymouth County Directory and Historical Register of the Old Colony,
Middleboro, Mass: Published By Stillman B. Pratt & Company, 1867.
Notes about Online Publication: This manuscript has been ocr'd and heavily
edited. Many of the Native American words have been reproduced as clearly as
online publication will allow us, but not all are exactly the way they were in
the original work. The structure of this manuscript has been changed to allow
better online presentation.