Warren H. Cottrell was born in Renssellaer Co., N.Y., in 1852; removed to Waterloo, Iowa; graduated from the State University at Iowa City in the class of ’79, and came to Sioux City, Nov. 15th, 1880. He is now a member of one of the leading agricultural implement firms of this place.
L. B. Atwood, liveryman, established business in 1866; was born in Livermore, Maine; came west and settled in Sioux Falls, Dakota, in 1858; and the same year came to Sioux City, which makes him one of the pioneers of this place. He has been a member of the city council, and held other minor offices.
Deming & Hatch, dentists, are former residents of Vt. They came to this city in Nov., 1880, and opened their present office. Their practice is extensive and remunerative.
John Anderson, of the firm of Anderson & Olson, dealers in boots, shoes, rubbers, etc., opposite High School building, was born in Sweden in 1843; came to America in 1869, and settled in Sioux City; married Anna Anderson. They have four children-Mary, Albert, Carrie and Oscar.
George Devore, auctioneer, was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, in 1834; came to Sioux City in 1869, prior to which he was in business in Ill., He was justice of the peace twelve years, and has held other town offices; he has followed his present business since 1865.
C. Borman, proprietor of Columbia House, on the corner of Fourth and Water streets, established business in 1870. He has good stabling accommodations connected with the premises. Mr. B. was born in Germany in 1826. He was in the German military service six years; came to America in 1854, and settled in Alleghany City, Pennsylvania
A.H. Crowell, of the firm of Crowell & Martin, commission merchants and wholesale dealers in foreign and domestic goods, green and dried fruits, confectionery, etc., corner of 3rd and Pearl streets, was born in Mass. in 1838; followed sailing eleven years; has visited almost every foreign clime, and is a man of wide experience. During
C.M. Anderson, photographer, was born in Sweden in 1849, came to America n 1852, and located in Chicago. In 1871, he moved to Rock Island, Ill. While there he took charge of a gallery, and learned the art of photography. He came to Sioux City in 1878; married Bertha Jorgenson, of Manitowoc, Wis. They have
M.C. Davis, one of the proprietors of city mill and elevator, was born in Pittsford, Rutland County, Vt., in 1835. He has been engaged in the milling business since 1855; came to Sioux City in 1869 and erected the elevator in 1870. The elevator has a capacity of 70,000 bushels; the mill was built in
W.H. Corrigan, proprietor of sample room, No. 26 Pearl St., was born in Ozaukee Co., Wis., in 1850; came to this place in 1874, and entered the employ of the proprietor of the Washington House. He married Emma Shiable, of Sioux City. They have one child-Willie.