Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of Rev. N. R. Nichols

Rev. N. R. Nichols was pastor of the Congregational church at Norwich village from February, 1880, to May, 1904, after completing a seven years’ pastorate at Barnet, Vermont, which was preceded by brief pastorates at Westfield, Massachusetts, and Acworth, New Hampshire. During his term of nearly a quarter of a century here in Norwich, Mr. Nichols faithfully cared for the interests committed to his charge, as the one hundred and ninety-five accessions to his church during his pastorate amply indicate. Not alone to matters connected with his church did he give his attention, but, as well, to those of a temporal character; elevated pleasures, as he viewed them from his conscientious standpoint, were recipients of his countenance and active aid. For many years Mr. Nichols was one of the trustees of the Norwich public library, in which institution he had a deep interest, and at the front entrance to the library building he caused a pretty door to be placed in memory of his deceased wife. It may be appropriate to place at the conclusion of this short sketch of the late pastor a few words from the presentation address accompanying a gift of silver coin to Mr. Nichols on the twenty-fifth anniversary of his marriage: “We love and honor you for the life you have lived among us and for the good you have accomplished.”...

The Emerson Brothers of Norwich Vermont

About the year 1792, Elihu Emerson, just then arrived at his majority, came to Norwich Vermont from Westfield, Massachusetts; followed in 1795 by Joseph and later by Thomas, two younger brothers. These young men became heads of families, and were prominent residents in town for many years. Elihu was a blacksmith by trade, and carried on business in a shop that he built a short distance north of his residence on “Norwich Plain” For his first wife Mr. Emerson married Thankful Grant, and for his second wife Cynthia Brooks. The first wife died in 1834, aged fifty-eight years, and the second wife in 1861, aged eighty years, Mr. Emerson following them in 1873, at the advanced age of over one hundred and two years. He died at his daughter’s in Leicester, Massachusetts, from which place his remains were brought to Norwich and placed in the village cemetery. . By his first wife Mr. Emerson had three daughters: Charlotte, who married John Milton Partridge of Norwich; Harriet, who married Doctor Austin Flint, of Leicester, Massachusetts; and Julia, who never married. Mr. Emerson was a very agile man until well along in years, placing his hands on his horse’s back and mounting thereon from the ground on the seventy-first anniversary of his birth. Joseph and Thomas were inclined towards trade and speculation. Besides occupying the home field in this direction, they had, before 1812, established large stores of general merchandise at Montreal and Detroit, doing a very extensive business. The latter place was, at that period, the general trading post and distributing point for a large portion of the Northwest Territory....

History of the Industries of Norwich VT

Although the products of the industries in Norwich have not been of great magnitude they have been quite varied in character. Such information in regard to these callings as we have been able to obtain we will present to our readers, though not in strict chronological order. Among the earliest establishments coming under this head was a grist mill established as early as 1770, by Hatch and Babcock on Blood Brook, on or near the site of the grist mill now operated by J. E. Willard, a short distance up the stream from where it empties into the Connecticut River. As has been stated in a previous chapter, it was voted at a proprietors’ meeting held September 17, 1770, to give to Joseph Hatch and Oliver Babcock the “tenth river lot on condition they execute a deed * * * * for upholding a grist mill where said gristmill now stands.” Since the ownership by Hatch and Babcock this property has been in the possession among others of Aaron Storrs, who sold it in 1793 to Doctor Joseph Lewis; Horace Esterbrook, who sold it to J. J. Morse; the latter to G. W. Kibling; Kibling to Crandall and Burbank; they to Doctor Rand of Hartford, Vt., and from the latter’s estate, J. E. Willard, the present proprietor, bought it. During Mr. Kibling‘s ownership of the property he had a department for making doors, window sashes, etc., in addition to a grist mill. In 1766, Jacob Burton built a saw mill on the north bank of Blood Brook, a little further down the stream than Messenger and Hazen‘s late tannery...

Biographical Sketch of Harold North Fowler

Fowler, Harold North; university prof.; born, Westfield, Mass., Feb. 25, 1859; son of Samuel and Maria Jones Fowler; A. B., Harvard, 1880; studied American School Classical Studies, Athens, 1882-1883, Universities Bonn and Berlin, 1883-1885; Ph. D., Bonn, 1885; married, Helen, daughter of ex-Gov. Charles H. Bell, of Exeter, N. H., Dec. 23, 1890; instr. Harvard, 1885-1888; prof. Phillips Exeter Academy, 1888-1892; prof. Greek, University of Texas, 1892-1893; College for Women, Western Reserve University, since 1893; prof. Greek language and literature, American School Classical Studies, Athens, 1903-1904; editor-in-chief American Journal of Archaeology since 1906; corr. mem. Kaiserlich Duetsches Archaol. Institut. Editor: Thucydides, Book V., 1888; Plautus, Menaechmi, 1889; Quintus Curtius, Books III and IV, 1890; Allen and Greenough’s Ovid, 1891. Joint Author: Tuell and Fowler’s First Book in Latin, 1893; Tuell and Fowler’s Beginner’s Book in Latin, 1900; Fowler and Wheeler’s Handbook of Greek Archaeology, 1909. Author: History of Ancient Greek Literature, 1902; History of Roman Literature, 1903. Contbr. classical subjects to revs. and...

Biographical Sketch of Thomas Henry Geer

Geer, Thomas Henry; general insurance; born, Ledyard, Conn., Sept. 3, 1840; son of Nathaniela Bellows and Julia Davis Geer; educated, common schools, Ledyard, Conn.; 1854, Irving Institute, Tarrytown, N. Y.; 1857, State Normal School, Westfield, Mass.; graduate, 1861-1862, Norwich Academy, Norwich, Conn.; married, Poquetanuck, Conn., June 30, 1868, Fanny Halsey Brewster; one daughter, Mary Brewster Geer; Republican in polities; 1859, teacher Grammar School, West Gloucester, Mass.; 1860, principal of High School, Rockport, Mass., 1862-1865, teacher Burlington College, Burlington, N. J., 1866 to date, general insurance business, Cleveland; pres. The Thomas H. Geer Co.; sec’y The Triton Steamship Co.; sec ‘y and pres. Cleveland Life Underwriter’s Ass’n; sec’y Life Underwriter’s Ass’n of Ohio; treas., vice pres. and pres. Cleveland Board of Underwriters; Pres. National Ass’n of Local Fire Insurance Agents; director The Cleveland Humane Society; vestryman Trinity Cathedral; member Athletic...

Solomon Todd of Charlemont MA

Solomon Todd6, (Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Aug. 31, 1811, died July 15, 1902, married about 1837, Harriet Mayhew Hawks, who was born in Charlemont, Mass., Sept. 24, 1818, died May 17, 1902, in Rowe, Mass. When he was about 21 years of age he went to Westfield, Mass., and served 5 years learning the carpenters trade. Soon after he returned to Zoar, Mass., where he lived for some time after he was married. Later he moved to Charlemont, Mass., where he lived until 1858, when he removed to Rowe, Mass., living there until his death. Children: 892. Ellen, b. Oct. 1840, d. Dec. 6, 1840. 893. Emily A., b. 1842, m. William B. Caswell, who d. during the winter of 1877-78, in Shelburne Falls, Mass. 894. Laura E., b. Oct. 24, 1844, in Charlemont, Mass., m. John H. Juliff, who d. April, 1911, no children; they lived in Bristol, Conn. 895. Theresa M., b. in 1846, in Charlemont, Mass., m. in 1870, Eugene W. Wood, of Easthampton, Mass., where he died Oct., 1910; no children; she resides in Easthampton, Mass., now (1916). 896. Sarah, b. July, 1848, d. July 3, 1850. *897. Hattie E., b. 1850. *898. Albert, b. Aug. 31, 1852, d. Oct. 5, 1852. *899. George M., b. Oct. 14, 1854. 900. Ida M., b. Feb. 23, 1857, d. March 5, 1876. *901. Alton S., b. Oct. 6, 1860. *902. Walter E., b. April 5,...

Biography of Lorenzo V. Knox

Lorenzo V. Knox was a great merchant, assisted in building up a wholesale enterprise at Leavenworth which still exists, flourishes, and bears his name. In a broad public sense more important even than his achievements as a merchant were the efforts and influences which he directed to the general well being of his home city. He became actively identified with all that pertained to the material and moral welfare of the community. This was particularly manifested in his connection with educational affairs. For years Mr. Knox was a member of the Leavenworth school board, serving twelve years in all and part of the time as president of the board. The impress of his activities is a lasting benefit to the city educational institutions. Lorenzo V. Knox was born in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts November 6, 1841, and died at Leavenworth December 6, 1899, at the age of fifty-eight. His parents were Abijah B. and Abigail (Babcock) Knox. He was descended from William Knox, who came to America in colonial times and founded a home in Massachusetts. In his early boyhood Lorenzo V. Knox went with his parents to Westfield, Massachusetts, and while growing up he received a normal school training. For a time he was a teacher, and during the Civil war he was a member of the Signal Service Corps. It was in 1866 that he came to Leavenworth and began the residence in this city which was only terminated by his death thirty-three years later. In Leavenworth he had an uncle, Griswold Catlin, who was member of an old wholesale shoe firm, a business that had...

Biography of Louis L. Keefe

LOUIS L. KEEFE – Born of a family that for generations has made its home in Massachusetts, Louis L. Keefe, today the mayor of Westfield, Massachusetts, was born in Ontario, Canada, but being of American parentage, is naturally a native born citizen. Reared and educated in Westfield, which has always been the family home, he started in his business career on the completion of his education, and after learning thoroughly the business that he had decided to follow, he very early made a start for himself, under his own name, and he has carried his establishment to a fine point of efficiency and usefulness to his locality. A man of breadth of outlook, he always took an interest in public matters and affairs, and it has been a natural development that he has been called upon to serve his community in official capacity. This he has done officially for the past decade, in one capacity or another, until in 1923 he was elected to his present high position in the community, and reelected to that incumbency again in 1925. He is a man who is deeply interested in the progressive welfare of his city, and is affiliated with organized endeavor in many fields; he holds membership in civic, fraternal and church organizations, and is active in promoting the advancement of thought in all affairs that tend to the betterment of conditions and the human welfare of his center. Starting out in life with the high ambition to be of service to his fellowmen, through every adventure in the business world and in his social occupations, Mr. Keefe has not...

Biography of Joseph Buell Ely

Joseph Buell Ely, a son of Henry Wilson and Sarah Naomi (Buell) Ely, was born in Westfield, Massachusetts, on February 22, 1881. After receiving an excellent preparatory education in the Westfield public schools, he completed his college course at Williams College, whence he was graduated with the class of 1902, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts. His degree of Bachelor of Laws he received from the Harvard Law School of Harvard University in 1905, and in that same year was admitted to practice before the bar of the State of Massachusetts. He at once embarked upon his professional career by associating himself in practice with his honored father in Westfield and Springfield, and this happy association has continued throughout two decades, the firm of Ely & Ely now including another son, Charles F. Ely, and this well-known firm has steadily advanced in public favor. In 1915 Joseph Buell Ely was appointed district attorney by Governor Walsh, and again in 1916 he was elected for a three-year term. In 1919 he served as district attorney for the counties of Hampden and Berkshire, where he proved himself an admirable prosecutor and a worthy son of a brilliant father. He and his father are both members of the local and State Bar associations, while the junior Mr. Ely also holds membership with the Nayasset Club of Springfield, and the Park Club of Pittsfield. Both father and son are active in civic welfare circles, and no worthy movement which has as its design the advancement or improvement of Westfield, its environs, and its institutions ever meets with a refusal of their help...

Biography of Henry Wilson Ely

For three consecutive generations the Elys have been closely identified with the business and professional life of Westfield, Massachusetts; and for nine generations with that of New England. The family in America was founded by Nathaniel Ely, born in the year 1605, supposedly in Tenterden, County Kent, England, of an excellent old English family. The Ely family in England dates back to the hereditary surname epoch (1250-1450 A.D.), when second, or family names first began to come into general use. The name has two distinct derivations, as is proved by that peer of etymologists and orthographers, the late Charles Wareing Bardsley, honorary canon of Carlisle Cathedral and vicar of Ulverstone, in his monumental “A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames” (Second Edition). The same derivations are also given in Lower’s “Patronymica Britannica.” Surnames fall, roughly, into five separate classes of inception, by far the greatest class being that one known as baptismal surnames. Ely was originally spelled Elie, and was used as a fontal or Christen name. When, due to the growth in population and the resultant confusion from the repetitious use of identical fontal names, a second or distinguishing nomenclature became imperative, many assumed their father’s given name as a surname. Hence, Robert, son of William, became Robert fil. William (fil being a contraction of the Latin filius, and meaning simply “son of”), the fil being dropped in the course of time and the name becoming Robert William’s (possessive case meaning William’s son Robert), and finally, Robert Williams. Hundreds of present-day surnames came about in this way. John, fil Elie, of County Lincoln, is mentioned in the Placita...
Page 1 of 212

Pin It on Pinterest