Timothy Brown and wife, Meredeth Ward, were the first settlers in the town, coming from Westmoreland, N. H., in the year 1797. He bought 450 acres of land on West hill, embracing the Stephen Leach farm and adjoining lands. Here he lived until 1829, when he removed to Ohio, where he passed the remainder of
Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his
The second family that located in the town was that of Abiathar Wetherell, who came from Westmoreland, N. H., in 1798. In 1803, there came from the same place Zephaniah Leach and his four sons, Stephen, Nathan, William, and Jacob. He first settled on East hill, above where Nathan Page now lives , but afterward
Joel Brown came from New Hampshire about the year ,808, and located in Underhill, where he remained about fourteen years, then removed to Cambridge, where he died in 1858. Samuel H., the second of his eight children, born in 1815, has been a resident of Waterville since 1854.
Solomon Manchester, from Barnet, Vt., came to Waterville in 1839, and located in the southern part of the town, on road 16. He has had a family of six children, three of whom now reside in the town.
Amos Page, from Massachusetts, was an early settler in Waterville. He located in the eastern part, where he died in 1840, aged eighty-four years. His family consisted of four sons, one of whom, Aaron D., settled in Waterville. Several of Amos’s descendants now reside in the town.
Jacob Locke, from New Hampshire, settled in the central part of the town in 1808, where he remained until his death, in 1854. He reared a family of ten children, two of whom settled in the town. Thomas J., his third child, born in 1808, is now among the oldest inhabitants of the town.
Moses McFarland was born in Marietta, Ohio, June 25, 1821, coming to Waterville when about three years old, where he has since resided. He married Livonia, oldest daughter of Stephen and Asenath Brown Leach, and settled upon the home farm. In 1854, he removed from West hill to the village, his father and mother accompanying
Jesse C. Holmes, from Petersboro, N. H., came to Waterville at an early date, and located where the village now is. Here he resided until 1860, then went to live with his son-in-law, Ober D. Rogers, on road 13, where he died in April, 1876, aged ninety years. Mr. Holmes was among the first advocates
Abithar Codding, one of the earliest permanent settlers, came to Waterville from the southern part of the State, in company with his brother-in-law, a Mr. Fletcher. They settled on adjoining farms, on road 9. Mr. Codding reared a family of eight children, six of whom are now living. Joel B. Codding, residing on road 9,