David A. Marshall, born in Waterbury, Vt., came to Stowe at an early date, while yet a child, and remained here until his death, June 8, 1875, aged seventy-seven years. His widow resides with her daughter, on Maple street.
Franklin Trow, a native of Barre, and son of George Trow, one of the early settlers of that town, removed to Woodbury in 1821, where he subsequently died. His son Franklin came to this town in 1851, and purchased a farm on road 21, now owned by his son, with whom he lives at the
Hon. Vernon W. Waterman was born in Johnson, Vt., July 30, 1811. When three years of age he went with his farther to Montpelier, Vt., to live, and remained there until nineteen years of age, when he came to Morristown to reside with his uncle, Hon. David P. Noyes, who was engaged in mercantile pursuits.
John West, from Northfield, Vt., came to Morristown in 1837, where he resided until his death, in 1869, aged seventy-three years. Mr. West held many of the town offices, discharging his duties in a most acceptable manner. His son is now proprietor of the Vermont House.
George W. Bailey, from Berlin, Vt., came to Elmore February 6, 1821, and located upon the farm now occupied by P. C. Darling, on road 4. Here he resided for a few years, then removed to the farm now owned by his son-in-law, A. M. Kelley, on road 15. Mr. Bailey held most of the
David Cook, from Barre, Vt., came to Elmore about the year 1822, and located on road 12, upon the farm now occupied by Leonard Grimes, where he cut the first timber on that property. Mr. Cook married Betsey Conant, reared a family of ten children, served his townsmen in various offices, and died in 1878.
Seth Town came to Elmore, from Barre, Vt., in 1823, and located near road 10, upon the farm now owned by Luther Ward. He resided here until about 1840, when he removed to the farm owned by C. S. Parker, on road 16. He served his townsmen in several official capacities, and died March 23,
Benjamin F. Morse was born in Barre, Vt., in 1828, and came to Elmore from Plainfield, Vt., in 1852, and located upon the farm he now occupies, on road 28. His house, erected in 1853, was the second frame house built in the eastern part of the town. Mr. Morse has been married three times,
Edwin Hill, from East Montpelier, came to Elmore in 1826, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, R. G. Hill, on road 23. He resided here until his death, in 1874. His widow is still living, aged eighty-two years. Two of their three children are living, R. G. and J. T.
Harvey Merritt came to this town from Montpelier about the year 1840, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, Francis L., on road 7. He married Abigail LeBarran, reared three sons and one daughter, three of whom are now living. His death occurred in June, 1876, aged seventy-four years. His wife died