Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Dr. F. Holmes Smith

Dr. F. Holmes Smith is a comparatively young man, yet he has already passed through a most interesting career, one phase of which was a stirring trip up into the frozen north where he faithfully followed the call of medical duty in Alaska, upon the shores of the Behring Sea, as the company doctor for the North American Commercial Company. Upon his return to civilization he took up the less arduous duties of a practicing physician and surgeon at San Bruno in 1909. Dr. Smith was born at Lake City, Minnesota, on October 29, 1879, and received his college education at Stanford University, after which he received his doctor’s degree at Cooper Medical College. Thereupon he immediately entered into the practice of medicine, being interned at the French Hospital, where he secured much valuable practical experience. From here he went to Alaska. Upon his return from Alaska he was married in 1911 at San Jose and shortly afterwards decided to throw in his lot with San Mateo County. Following this wise decision he moved to San Bruno and nailed up his shingle. He entered into the life of this thriving town with enthusiasm, with the result that he soon had established a lucrative practice. In a short time he was elected health officer of San Bruno-another result of conscientious attention to his duty. Although deeply interested in his profession, Dr. Smith has not neglected the social side of life. He is a member of the B. P. O. E., 1112 as well as a member of the Masonic Lodge of South San Francisco. Dr. Smith owns property in San...

Houses of the Mdewakanton Tribe

When preparing a sketch of the villages and village sites of the Mdewakanton, it is quite natural to begin with a brief description of the site of the village to which Father Hennepin was led captive, during the early spring of the year 1680. On the afternoon of April 11 of that year, while ascending the Mississippi with two companions, he was taken by a war party of the Sioux, and after much anxiety and suffering reached the Falls of St. Anthony, which he so named. Thence, going overland through the endless forests, they arrived at the village of their captors. Soon Indians were seen running from the village to meet them, and then it was that “One of the principal Issati Chiefs gave us his peace-calumet to smoke, and accepted the one we had brought. He then gave us some wild rice to eat, presenting it to us in large bark dishes.” From this place they were later taken in bark canoes “a short league, to an island where their cabins were.”1 The Mdewakanton “mystery lake village,” of the Santee or eastern division of the Dakota, were considered by some as “the only Dakota entitled to the name Isanyati (‘Santee’), given them from their old home on Mille Lac, Minnesota, called by them Isantamde, ‘Knife Lake.'” There is no doubt of the Mdewakanton being the Issati of Hennepin, to whose principal village he was taken, and where he remained for some weeks during the year 1680. It has always been acknowledged that the village stood on or near the shore of Mille Lac, but not until 1900 was...

Lorenzo U. Todd of Elba MN

Lorenzo U. Todd7, (Eli6, Solomon5, James4, James3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Nov. 16, 1832, died Feb. 7, 1906, married in Elgin, Minn., March 3, 1859, Nellie, daughter of Hiram and Adassa (Wilson) Preston, of New York, who was born Aug. 31, 1836, she having moved to Minnesota a year or two prior to her marriage. Her older sister accompanied her to Minnesota but later she removed to Walla Walla, Wash. Mrs. Todd died March 14, 1906. “He had a little better educational advantages than his elder brothers (Addison and Dexter J.) having finished his studies at an academy. He engaged in teaching for a short time, one term being in the west after his removal thither. He came to Elba (Minn.) in April 1855, with his elder brother Addison and made claim to one quarter section of Government land in section eight, on which his home has ever been. Additions have enlarged his farm to 264 acres; it is finely improved, with good buildings, etc., and its proprietor diversifies his interests by raising stock as well as grain. His premises are admirably adapted for stock raising, the North branch of the Whitewater furnishing an abundance of living water and its valley a wealth of pasturage. “In religion, Mr. Todd was a Universalist; in polities he has always been a democrat; was elected Justice of the Peace in 1857, being the first in the township; he was town treasurer in 1859-61; overseer of the poor in early days; member town board in 1875, and chairman of that body and Justice in 1883.” The later years of his life were passed quietly...

Pin It on Pinterest