Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

The Proprietors of Norwich Vermont

The larger part of the names of the grantees of Norwich are names of Connecticut men then resident in Mansfield and neighboring towns. Captain Hezekiah Johnson, Samuel Slafter, Joseph Storrs, and William Johnson 3rd, are known to have lived in Mansfield; Amos Fellows, James West, Adoniram Grant, and Samuel Cobb were of Tolland; Ebenezar Heath, Captain Abner Barker and William Johnson of Willington, towns adjacent to Mansfield on the north. The last nine names are those of New Hampshire and Massachusetts men, several of them members of the provincial government in the former province. Major Joseph Blanchard was of Dunstable, Mass. He had executed in 1760, by direction of Governor Wentworth, the first survey of the townships lying along the river from Charlestown to Newbury. His name appears as proprietor in many town charters about this time. But few of the original grantees ever came personally to Norwich to settle. Many of them, it is probable, were people of considerable property, well advanced in life, whose years unfitted them to endure the hard-ships of pioneers in a new settlement. Such would naturally transfer their rights to their sons, or to the young and enterprising among their friends and neighbors. This is known to have been the case in several instances. But Jacob Fenton and Ebenezar Smith, both proprietors, were here in 1763. The former died on the 15th of July of that year, and was thus the first white man known to have died within the township. Captain Hezekiah Johnson emigrated to the town very early and settled near the mouth of Ompompanoosuc River. He was long a leading...

Biography of Lucius H. Fuller

Both English and Scotch blood coursed through the veins of Mr. Fuller’s ancestors. His great-grandfather, Deacon Abijah Fuller, had the honor of assisting in the fortification of Bunker Hill, on which occasion he directed the throwing up of the earthworks the night before the battle. He died in 1835 in Hampton, where he was a farmer and a leading citizen. He married Abigail Meacham, whose children were Abigail, Lois, Arthur, Seymour, Clarissa and Luther. Seymour Fuller resided in Hampton, his birthplace, until 1816, the date of his removal to Tolland, Conn. He married in 1811, Louisa, daughter of William Butler and his wife, Louisa Huntington. Their children were: Lucius S., Abigail, wife of Sylvander Harwood, Caroline C., William B. and Melissa J.; of whom Lucius S. is the only survivor. He was born March 12th, 1812, in Hampton, and now resides in Tolland, where he has been a foremost citizen and prominently identified with both county and state affairs. He married July 4th, 1838, Mary Eliza, daughter of John Bliss, Esq., and his wife Sally Abbott, of Tolland. They celebrated their golden wedding July 4th, 1888. Their two surviving children are Lucius H. and Edward E. Lucius H. was born August 31st, 1849, in Tolland, and received a high school and academic education. On returning from school, after a brief interval on the farm, he removed to Putnam in’ February, 1868, and engaged in the insurance business, representing, as agent, many of the most important fire insurance companies in the country. This has, under his able management, grown and extended itself until it now takes rank as one of...

Pin It on Pinterest