Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

The Forest Theater, Ticonderoga, New York

Near the shore of Lake Champlain stands a beautiful pine and hemlock grove, the site of an ancient Indian village. Here, every August, is held an Indian pageant based on the lives of famous Six Nation Chiefs and warriors. This Indian pageant has grown from a handful of actors to a cast of as high as a hundred and twenty five. Thousands of people travel many miles to see these pageants. As they watch the actors they are taken back to the days when the Six Nations held sway over the beautiful Ticonderoga Region. The festival owes its birth and growth to a friend and adopted brother, Thomas. D. Cook or better known as Ka-hon-hes ‘A Long River’ because like a growing river his good work widens and covers much territory as be goes along in life. Since a boy, Ka-hon-hes has been filled with pity and shame at the treatment accorded the Indian by the white race. Mr. Cook, as a keen student of Indian history, was still more disgusted knowing that the average white person continued to believe erroneous, false notions that the Indian Race was made up of bloodthirsty, sadistic people. To bring home the truths about the Indian, and particularly the Six Nations, to as many people as possible and in the most convincing manner Tom Cook developed the Indian Pageants. Each of the several pageants has been written by himself. Each has been studied by officials of the New York State Historical Association who have sent back word that the pageants are, in every detail, absolutely authentic and accurate. In these pageants are scenes...

From Albany to Saratoga along the Hudson River

A pleasant tour awaits the traveler who continues his journey north from Albany, where the Delaware and Hudson train for Saratoga is ready at the landing on the arrival of the steamer. A half hour’s run along the west bank gives us a glimpse of Troy across the river with the classical named hills Mount Ida and Mount Olympus. Two streams, the Poestenkill and the Wynant’s Kill, approach the river on the east bank through narrow ravines, and furnish excellent water power. In the year 1786 it was called Ferryhook. In 1787, Rensselaerwyck. In the fall of 1787 the settlers began to use the name of Vanderheyden, after the family who owned a great part of the ground where the city now stands. January 9, 1789 the freeholders of the town met and gave it the name of Troy. The “Hudson,” the “Erie,” and the “Champlain” Canals have contributed to its growth. The city, with many busy towns, which have sprung up around it¬óCohoes, Lansingburg, Waterford, etc., is central to a population of at least 100,000 people. The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the oldest engineering school in America, has a national reputation. Cohoes, where the Mohawk joins Cohoes, comes from an Indian origin and signifies “the island at the falls.” This was the division line between the Mahicans and the Mohawks, and when the water is in full force it suggests in graceful curve and sweep a miniature Niagara. The view from the double-truss iron bridge (960 feet in length), looking up or down the Mohawk, is impressive. Passing through Waterford, and Mechanicville which lies partly in the township of...

Pin It on Pinterest