Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of Rev. P. B. Bailey

Rev. P. B. Bailey, deceased, came to Texas in the year 1845. He became a citizen of Hopkins County in the year 1850. He was the father of seven children. These are all dead now but two Mrs. Mary Loving, mother of Wilber Loving, Hopkins County’s efficient and popular sheriff, and Mrs. M. E. Minter, wife of Capt. S. A. Minter, who lives in the Pine Forest neighborhood. He was a Methodist preacher and organized the first Methodist church that was ever established in the town of Sulphur Springs. The author has heard this great preacher deliver powerful sermons. He was a natural preacher. He loved his work intensely, and has been instrumental in converting more people, perhaps, than any divine of his day. His power of oratory was great, and when he became enthused, which he did with a full audience, his efforts were stupendous. On one occasion when he had preached the funeral sermon of a noble citizen of his acquaintance, he stepped from the pulpit to the floor and began singing an appropriate song, asking the audience to join in the singing. They were all too full. All tried to sing the song he had selected for the occasion, but failed. Women wept freely, old men and hardened sinners wept. Sobs and sighs hurts from sorrow-burdened souls in all parts of the assembly. People fell into one anothers arms and sobbed as if their hearts would break, so powerful had been his exhortations while delivering his sermon. But the grand old preacher is dead now. When he passed away a deep gloom settled down upon the...

Biography of Howard Hargrave

Howard Hargrave was born in the state of Indiana in the year 1840. It was in the city of Booneville that he first saw the light of day. His parents migrated to the state of Texas in the year 1843. Howard was therefore three years of age. His father settled at old Sulphur Bluff with the rest of the Hargrave family. At this infantile age Howard remembers many incidents that took place under his observation when the first mill was erected, the first blacksmith shop, the first wagon and wood shop, in fact was an eye witness to the upbuilding of old Sulphur Bluff, which place has long since passed into a howling wilderness. It was here at this Bluff that the first post-office was established, the first store house owned and managed by Wash Cole, whose name has been mentioned in connection with this history, a grocery and drug cabin owned and run by John South. It was here that the first schoolhouse was built and the first school taught in Hopkins County. There were as many as one dozen families living here at one time. Robert Hargrave gave them employment, as he had several enterprises carried on at the old Bluff. The mail for this place was brought out from Paris, Lamar County, called at that time Pin Hook. The county was new-but few roads, no bridges, and there were times when the Sulphur Creek was swollen to such an extent that no mail could be had for weeks at a time. For the want of mails the citizens at the Bluff were in total ignorance as...

Pin It on Pinterest