Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Miles Shoemaker

Miles Shoemaker is the owner of a twenty-acre tract on the east side of Riverside Avenue, about two and a half miles south of Riverside. He purchased land in 1882 from Mrs. Hattie S. Travers, and in the same year commenced making improvements upon the place by planting citrus and deciduous fruits and vines. About live acres of his laud lies east of the upper canal, and is not susceptible of irrigation from the Riverside water system. Upon this elevated portion he has erected his cottage residence and outbuildings. The balance of his land fifteen acres is all under cultivation. He has an orange grove of ten acres, the trees ranging in age from seven years to those planted in 1889. He has some of the finest trees to be found in his section, and has used great care in their pruning, fertilization and cultivation from their first planting. His vineyard of three and one-half acres has also received its share of his attention, and has been remarkably prolific in its yield. In 1888 this three and one-half acres and two and one-half acres of vines grown among his orange trees, produced a crop that sold for $1,100. In the same year his oranges brought him $790. In 1886 his raisin and orange crop sold for $2,200. He is a practical and successful horticulturist and is destined to have one of the most productive groves in Riverside. He has grown the greater portion of the nursery stock used in his orange-growing, and at this writing (1889) has a fine nursery stock with which to increase the area of his...

Biography of Frank T. Nelson

Among the enterprising and progressive citizens, and successful horticulturists that are doing so much toward building up and placing before the world the horticultural interests and industries of Riverside and San Bernardino County, mention should be made of the above named gentleman. Mr. Nelson came to San Bernardino County in 1863, and located at Redlands. There he purchased a twenty-acre tract of uncultivated land and commenced its improvement. He planted the tract with orange trees, and made one of the representative groves of that section. He sold the tract at a good price in 1887, and in the same year came to Riverside and invested in lands. He is the owner of thirty acres of land on the west side of Bandini avenue, upon which he has his residence; six acres of the land is in orange trees, five or six years old; the balance is bottom land, which is principally devoted to alfalfa. This bottom laud has a water right of some twenty-five inches from Spring Brook. He has also a ten-acre tract on the west side of Cypress Avenue, which is one of the finest orange groves in the section. There are six acres of seedling oranges upon that tract, the trees are sixteen years old, and under his skillful care and cultivation are giving good returns, giving a yield that net him $500 per acre. Four acres are in budded fruit that are varying age and not in full bearing. He is a thoroughly practical man, and in his orange growing spares no labor or expense in cultivation and fertilization, that his experience and business principles...

Biography of S. M. Goddard

S. M. Goddard, one of the leading business men of the city of Colton, is at the head, and is the general manager, of the well-known house of James Lee & Company, wholesale dealers in flour, provisions, grain, etc. It is one of the largest business enterprises of Colton, occupying a large brick store and warehouse west of the railroad depot in that city. The building is 160 x 50 feet in dimensions and is the largest warehouse in the county. The firm of James Lee & Company was established in 1885, composed of James Lee and the subject of this sketch as partners. They, in addition to the present business, were engaged also in banking. The death of Mr. Lee occurred in October, 1886, but the business was continued under the same name, with Mr. Goddard as senior, and M. A. Hebbard as junior partner. The banking house was sold soon after Mr. Lee’s death and incorporated as the First National Bank of Colton. Mr. Goddard has taken an important part in the business enterprises that have tended to build up Colton. He is the City Treasurer and has held that office since the incorporation of the city, and is a stockholder in many of the enterprises that have made public improvements in the city. He is the president of the Hermosa Cemetery Association, and has taken a prominent and leading part in political affairs. He is a first-class businessman of enterprise and public spirit. Mr. Goddard was born in New York in 1854. His father, William M. Goddard, was a native of that State, a carpenter by...

Biography of David D. Banta

David D. Banta is the business manager and principal owner of the Riverside Mills. This mill was built by the Riverside Mill Company, Walker & Banta, in May, 1887, and conducted by that firm until the death of Mr. Walker in 1888, since which time Mr. Banta has had the sole management of the enterprise. The Riverside Mills ranks as one of the leading industries of the city, being 106 x 40 feet, and is fitted with the most improved machinery for the manufacture of doors, sash, moldings and all class of work required in building and interior finishing. Mr. Banta, a skilled workman of years of experience, is one of the largest employers of skilled labor in the city, engaging some fifteen men, most of whom are mechanics. The machinery of his works is run by steam, requiring an engine of thirty-horsepower. Mr. Banta was born in Bergen County, New Jersey, in 1859, and was reared and schooled in his native place until eighteen years of age. He then went to New York City and entered upon an apprenticeship at the carpenter and builder’s trade. After serving as an apprentice for four years he engaged as a journeyman, working in that city. He spent nearly six years in New York City and then started Westward, and was engaged as a carpenter and builder in Chicago, and later in Kansas City. In 1883 he came to California, and after six months in San Francisco located in Stockton, and was there employed as a foreman by the firm of P. A. Buell & Co., and later as their bookkeeper. In...

Biography of James Porter Greves, M.D.

James Porter Greves, M. D., deceased, was familiarly known as the “Father of Riverside,” and well he deserved the title. He was the real founder of the Colony Association, the first to visit and select the land, and the first to occupy them, camping upon the desert plain now occupied by the city of Riverside, September 19, 1870. For nearly twenty years his life and life’s efforts were intimately interwoven with the history of Riverside and the colony. No man in the community was better known or more universally respected and esteemed than he. His death was sincerely mourned and left many an aching heart among his old friends and associates. Dr. Greves was born in Skaneateles, Onondaga County, New York, September 6, 1810. When a youth he was apprenticed to a printer in Utica, New York, and served four years. In 1828 he began the study of medicine under the tutorship of Dr. Batchelor, a well-known physician of that city, and at the age of twenty-one graduated from the Fairfield Medical College, and commenced the practice of his profession. In 1833 he marred Miss Helen Sandford, a native of Ovid, New York, and moved to Marshall, Michigan; there he followed his profession until the summer of 1845, when he removed to Milwaukee, and followed his profession there until 1859; then he went to St. Louis. Late in the fall he went to New Orleans, and spent the winter of 1859-’60; thence to Baton Rouge, with his brother, Samuel P. Greves, a lawyer, where he remained until June, 1860; thence to New York city. He remained there until March,...

Biography of Peter Suman

Peter Suman, one of the most successful horticulturists of Riverside, came to this place in December, 1880, and established his residence on Vine street, between Second and Third streets, purchasing the two and one-half acre block. In the spring of 1881 he bought a ten-acre tract on the west side of Brockton Avenue, about a mile south of the business center of Riverside, and since that date has devoted himself to horticultural pursuits. In 1885 he erected a substantial and well-ordered cottage residence upon this place, and has since occupied it with his family. His orange grove is a noticeably fine one and well worthy of mention as a representative place. He has four acres of seedling orange trees, nineteen years old, and from twenty-two to twenty-five feet in height, with strong body and spreading branches, trees forming a head nearly twenty feet in diameter. As an illustration of the yield from these four acres, the amounts received from the sale of oranges during the past four years is given: In 1885, $1,300; in 1886, $900; in 1887, $1,350, and in 1888, $1,400. This is an average of over $300 per acre for a series of years. In addition to his seedlings there are 230 Mediterranean Sweets, 150 Washington Navels and 60 Australian Navels and St. Michaels in his grove, all remarkably fine trees, but varying in age from two years old to those in good bearing. He also has lemon and deciduous fruit trees, such as are required for family use. Mr. Suman makes orange-growing a study, constantly experimenting in budding, pruning, fertilizing, etc, and rarely makes a...

Biography of Otis T. Dyer

No historical work claiming to he a true record of the growth and prosperity of Riverside for the decade of years preceding 1890, and claiming to record the establishment of many enterprises, industries and incorporations that have been the leading factor in placing her in the ranks of the leading cities and colonies of Southern California, could be considered as anything but glaringly incomplete without a more than passing mention of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His association and connection with Riverside’s leading enterprises form an interesting chapter in the annals of the city and county. Mr. Dyer’s life, since Riverside received its first impetus, has been closely interwoven with every important enterprise or movement that tended to benefit the city and add to the welfare and prosperity of the community. The few facts obtained relating to his life and successful career are of interest. He was born in Portage, Genesee County, New York, in 1844. His parents were Leman W. and Philena (Green) Dyer. His father was a native of the Green Mountain State, and was a mechanic, a marble and granite worker by calling. When the subject of this sketch was four years of age his father moved to New London, Connecticut, and it was there where young Dyer received his early education, in the public schools. In the winter of 1857-’58, his father becoming dissatisfied with his success in the East, moved to Illinois, where he located in Stark County. The family were commencing to get settled and accustomed to their new home, and everything progressing in an even tenor, when the father, in...

Biographical Sketch of William J. Guthrie

William J. Guthrie, one of San Bernardino’s brightest and most successful business men, was born in Detroit, Michigan, and was there brought up and educated, and started out in life as an employee in a mercantile agency, where he obtained a thorough knowledge of business customs and methods. His connection with that branch of business continued for years, during which time he rose from a reporter to joint partner in the McKillop Mercantile Agency. In 1878 he came to California and spent a year in the Ohio valley, Ventura County, when he was made superintendent of the Dunn Mercantile Agency at Denver, Colorado. At the end of two years he resigned that position to return to Ventura County and engage in private business. A year later, in 1882, he came to San Bernardino, and, in partnership with a Mr. Gilbert, opened a grocery and crockery store combined. In 1884 they closed out the grocery feature and Mr. Gilbert retired from the firm, leaving Mr. Guthrie sole proprietor of the crockery business, which he conducted prosperously until November 1889, and then sold out, retiring temporarily from active business. His was the only exclusively crockery-house in the city, and he carried a large stock of high grade and common wares, in which he had a fine trade. Mr. Guthrie owns 160 acres of valuable land, on the Colton terrace, on which is an eight-acre orange grove just coming into bearing. He has scarcely reached the high noon of life, and, with his active mental temperament and his superior business training, a future of bright promise awaits...

Biography of Joseph K. Shields

Joseph K. Shields, of Riverside, was born in Cook County, Illinois, in 1853. His parents were James and Honore (Ward) Shields. His father was a native of Indiana and his mother of New York. In 1855 his father came with his family to California and located in Sierra County. He was a civil engineer by occupation and engaged in mining enterprises. At a later day he moved to Yuba County, where he engaged in farming, and in 1861 settled at Marysville. Mr. Shields was reared and schooled in that city, graduating at the high school. After graduating he engaged in work on his father’s ranch, which was located in Yuba County. In 1875 he established a meat market and livery stable near Marysville and conducted them until 1876. For the next four years Mr. Shields was engaged in various pursuits until he entered the service of the Central Pacific Railroad Company. He entered that employ as a laborer, but his abilities and strict attention to his work soon gained him promotion and he was given positions of trust and responsibility. He was for many years a clerk in the shipping department. In 1885 his health compelled him to seek some other occupation and he came to San Bernardino County and located at Riverside. He first opened a meat market and was in that business until 1887. He then became associated with the Riverside Daily Enterprise as a reporter, and later, in the same connection with the Riverside Chronicle. In June 1888, he accepted the position as editor of the Riverside Enterprise, and has held that position to the present...

Biography of Captain Lyman C. Waite

Captain Lyman C. Waite is one of the pioneers of Riverside. His association with the foundation of the colony, the establishment of schools, churches, horticultural industries, banking, and other incorporations, commenced in the infancy of the colony, and his various enterprises, both public and private, have been conducted by that sound sense, trained business principles, and honest, straightforward dealings that are characteristic of the man. The facts obtained for a brief review of his life are of interest. Captain Waite was born in Walworth County, Wisconsin, in 1844. His parents, Sydney and Parmelia (Barker) Waite, were natives of western New York. They were pioneers of Wisconsin, having established themselves in that State as early as 1836 or 1837. His father was a farmer by occupation, and during Captain Waite’s boyhood was a resident of Sheboygan Falls, Fond du Lac and Appleton. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, and being of a studious disposition was given the best advantages the public schools afforded in securing an education. In 1860 he entered upon a course of study in the Lawrence University at Appleton. The war of the Rebellion and the call upon the nation’s sons to rally to the support of the old flag, and preserve our country from secession rule, enlisted the patriotic sympathy of young Waite, and he abandoned his college studies and promptly entered the service of his stricken nation. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company D, Twenty-first Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, commanded by Colonel Benjamin 1L Sweet. Captain Waite’s military life and actions were highly creditable and honorable, and form one...
Page 4 of 3312345678910...2030...Last »

Pin It on Pinterest