Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Saline County, Nebraska

Pleasant Hill Cemetery was laid out in 1867, upon the organization of Saline County. Among those buried there are: Dawson, Bertha, wife of Isaac Dawson, b. Feby. 15, 1817, d. May 30, 1884. Dawson, Isaac, b. May 29, 1810, d. Jany. 3, 1886. Henderson, John, b. May 13, 1794, d. Feby. 14, 1883. Litzenberg, Eliza, wife of John Litzenberg, b. 1815, d. Febr. 15, 1876. McClure, John. b. 1804, d. Mch. 15, 1892. Sukraw, Louisa, d. July 2, 1873, ae. 36 years. Born in Prussia. Contributed by Mrs. B. G....

Jindra Cemetery, Saline County, Nebraska

The Jindra Cemetery, laid out in 1873, was known as Maple Grove Cemetery. It is situated on the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 2, township 7, north of range 4, east of the 6th P. M. Saline county, Nebraska., being approximately one and one-half miles south and east of Crete. The above forty acre tract was conveyed, November 26, 1873, by Wencl Jelinek and Annie Jelinek, his wife, to the directors of the said Maple Grove Cemetery, namely: G. W. Bridges, Charles Little, James Donnelly, J. R. Webster, and E. O. Wallace. The Riverside Cemetery was platted September 13, 1879. The first addition to this cemetery was platted October 13, 1884; the second, August 30, 1887; the third, August 4, 1888, and the fourth, June 23, 1920. Mr. Jesse C. Bickle laid out Riverside Cemetery in 1879, it being twenty acres in southeast corner of section 28, township 8. range 4. After Mr. Bickle had platted the cemetery he offered cemetery lots free of charge to those who had people buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, better known to the people of Crete as “Jindra Cemetery.” Quite a number availed themselves of the opportunity and many bodies were removed to Riverside. The Riverside Cemetery was managed by Mr. J. C. Bickle until his death in 1885, after which his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Bickle took charge until her death in 1900. She willed the cemetery to her brother, Mr. I. F. Hunt, who managed it until 1910. In 1910 Mr. Theo. Haden Sr. purchased the cemetery from Mr. Hunt and is in charge at the present time....

Biography of John M. Haines

The wise system of industrial economics which has been brought to bear in the development of Boise has challenged uniform admiration, for while there has been a great advancement in all material lines, there has been an entire absence of that inflation of values and that erratic “booming” which have in the past proved the eventual death knell to many of the localities of the west, where “mushroom” towns have one day smiled forth with “all modern improvements” and practically on the next day have been shorn of their glories and of their possibilities of stable prosperity, so to remain until the existing order of things shall have been radically changed. In Boise progress has been made continuous and in safe lines, and this is due in no small degree to Mr. Haines and those with whom he is associated in the real-estate business under the firm name of W. E. Pierce & Company. To real-estate men, probably more than to any one else, is due the healthful development of the town, and Boise is certainly indebted to this firm for much of its substantial growth and improvement. It is there fore meet that its members be represented in the history of the capital city, and therefore with pleasure we take up the task of preparing the life record of J. M. Haines. This gentleman was born in Jasper County, Iowa, January 1, 1863. and is of German and English extraction. Early ancestors of the family located in Pennsylvania at the time when William Penn planted his colony there, and were members of the Society of Friends, to which...

Biography of Joseph B. Hulse

Joseph B. Hulse, proprietor of the only photograph gallery in Hailey, is a native of Iowa, born in Glenwood, on the 3d of January 1859. The family, of German origin, was planted on American soil at an early period in the history of New England. The grandfather, Joseph Hulse, was a pioneer settler of the state of Ohio, and his son, Henry A. Hulse, the father of our subject, was born near the old home of Abraham Lincoln, in the vicinity of Springfield, Illinois. Having arrived at years of maturity, he married Caroline Maloon and removed to Iowa, whence he afterward went to Pike’s Peak. In 1863 he removed with his family to Denver, Colorado, and in 1866 went to Saline county, Nebraska, settling on a farm’ on a tributary of the Blue river, where he remained until 1880. In that year he became a resident of Oregon, taking up his abode near LaGrande, Union county, where he remained until called to the home beyond, in 1893, at the age of fifty-seven years. His widow still resides there and is now fifty-six years of age. They were the parents of eight children, five of whom are living. In the public schools Joseph B. Hulse acquired his literary education, pursuing his studies through the fall and winter months, while in the summer season he assisted in the labors of the home farm. In early life he began to learn the art of photography, and in 1889 established a gallery in Alturas, California, where he remained three years, after which he spent nearly a year at Lake View, Oregon. He then...

Biographical Sketch of Albert Alling Atwater

Atwater, Albert Alling; civil engineer and real estate; born, Cleveland, May 27, 1868; son of Jared J. and Harriet Root Atwater; educated, Cleveland public schools, Western Reserve Academy, Case School of Applied Science; married, Crete, Neb., Nov., 1901, Emily Daniels; finished special course at Case School in June, 1891; followed sanitary construction at Conneaut and Dayton, O., for two years; in charge of mining operations in Michigan, Canada and Missouri for eight years; city engineer of Webb City, Mo., two years; real estate business in Cleveland since 1903; director sec ‘y and 2nd vice pres. The Adams Realty Co.; director The Cleveland Automobile Club; member Cache Commandery No. 27, Conneaut O., Lake Erie Consistory, Cleveland, Ahmed Temple of Mystic Shrine, Marquette,...

Biography of William Henry Van Meer, M. D.

William Henry Van Meer, M. D. A comparatively recent recruit to the medical fraternity of Elk County, Dr. William Henry Van Meer is a physician and surgeon of more than a quarter of a century of standing and experience. When he entered upon his professional career it was as a man of matured mind, thoroughly alive to the responsibilities of the course which he had chosen, and one whose broad experience in other fields of endeavor had given him a keen insight into human nature, as well as developed his sympathies and spirit of kindliness. During the short time that he had been practicing at Longton, his present field of endeavor, he had won a place in the confidence and regard of the people, as well as a standing in the community as one of its learned and able men. Doctor Van Meer was born in the township of Brock, Province of Ontario, Canada, May 4, 1854, and is a son of William and Sarah Anna (Maybee) Van Meer. He is of Dutch descent, his grandfather, Simon Van Meer, having been born in Holland and an early resident of Albany, New York, at which place he owned forty acres of land during the days of the War of the Revolution. Later he went to Canada, locating four miles from Hamilton, Ontario, and his death occurred near Head Lake, Lexington, Canada, in 1862, when he had reached the remarkable age of 104 years, eight months, twenty-nine days. In addition to his longevity, there were numerous other things that made Simon Van Meer a remarkable man. He was not only a...

Pin It on Pinterest