Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of H. C. Watson

H. C. Watson, time-keeper and clerk M. M. L & St. L. shops, Mattoon; was born in New Madrid, New Madrid Co., Mo., July 27, 1827; his father was a Scotchman and was one of the early Western pioneers, having come West as early as 1805. Having obtained a good common school education, in 1844, he became a student in Prof. J. B. Anderson’s high school, in New Albany, Ind.; this he attended one year; in 1845, he attended St. Vincent’s College at Cape Girardeau; in 1848, he matriculated in Bethany College, Va., and remained one year; on his return home, he engaged in merchandising, and followed the business till 1863; by reason of the war, he lost most of his stock and trade; he moved with his family to Litchfield, Ill., and, in 1865, entered the office of the Master Mechanic of the St. L., A. & T. H. R. R., as clerk and timekeeper; in 1867, the I. & St. L. leased the road, and, in 1870, when the shops were removed from Litchfield to Mattoon, he came with them. He was married in November, 1852, to Sarah C. Post, a native of Alton, Ill.; has five children – William G., Harry W., Frank E., Jennie, Gertie. Has held the office of School Director, East...

Biography of M. B. Valodin

M. B. Valodin, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Oakland; born in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio, March 28, 1828; at 8 years of age, he removed with his parents to New Madrid, Mo., living there until 1838, at which time his father died, when he removed with his mother and sister to Edgar Co., Ill., where he engaged in farming until 1844, with the exception of one year in which he attended school in Paris; he then went to Wisconsin, where he was engaged at work in the shot tower at Helena, six months, and followed mining the same length of time, when he enlisted for the Mexican war, at which time the Government having trouble with the Indians, he, with his regiment, was employed in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota in removing the Indians to their reservation, until 1848; he then returned to Edgar Co., Ill., and followed farming until 1849, when he removed to Coles Co., and engaged in farming and raising and dealing in stock until 1864, at which date he located in Oakland, and to the above business engaged in the dry goods trade until 1866, when he sold his store and was appointed agent of the Illinois Midland Railroad, at Oakland, which position he held one year, and at the same time continued his farming and stock business, also dealing in lumber for one year; he removed upon his present place in the spring of 1878; his home farm contains 455 acres, upon which he has good buildings; he also owns twenty acres of timber and one block and seven lots in Oakland, upon which he...

Pin It on Pinterest