Martin Chase was born in Unity, N. H., and came to this town in 1869. He represented the town of Washington in the legislature of 1840, and now holds the office of justice of the peace.
The first settler in the town was William Barker, a native of Westboro, Mass., who located in what is now Westhill, in Troy. He came on in 1761, selected the place for his future home, and came back again in 1762, and commenced a clearing. He seems not to have done much from that time
Elias Thatcher was born here, and, with the exception of a few years spent in Swanzey, resided here until his death, in February, 1879, at the age of eighty-six years. His son, Elias A., was born here, and remained in the town until about twenty-three years of age, when he removed to Vermont, and from
The Frost Free Library.-The town has a fine public library, founded by Rufus S. Frost, in 1865, who donated $15.000.00 for the purpose. Of this amount $7,000.00 were devoted to the erection of a substantial granite building, $3,000.00 more were used in the purchase of books, and the remainder placed at interest, the revenue therefrom
Benjamin Thatcher, one of the early settlers of the town, subsequently removed to Swanzey, where he died. Benjamin, Jr., born here, made the town his home until twenty-one years of age, then removed to Keene, and finally to Swanzey, where he passed the remainder of his days His son George, born in Keene, has spent
MARLBORO is a handsome post village, located in the northwestern part of the town. It has, aside from its many private residences, three churches, (Congregational, Universalist and Methodist) one hotel, two general stores, a hardware store, furniture store, shoe store, grocery, barber shop, confectionery store, a town hall, Odd Fellows hall, a foundry and machine
Phineas Farrar, son of Josiah and Hannah Farrar, was born in Sudbury, Mass., came to Marlboro in 1768, and died here at the age of ninety-four years. His son William, a native of the town, died at the age of eighty-one years. Calvin, son of William, resides on road 9.
Charles Ryan was born in Boston. Mass., and was left an orphan at the age of about three years, or about the time he was brought to this town. He lived here until twenty-one years of age, when he went to Massachusetts and remained about twenty-one years, then came back to Marlboro. He married Arvilla
Jedediah K. Southwick, a native of Danvers, Mass., and a potter by trade, came to Dublin at an early day, and died there in 1843. His son Augustus came to Marlboro in 1854, and now resides on road r, where he and his son J. Kilburn are dairy farmers.
Marlboro is a small irregularly outlined township, lying in the central part of the county, in lat. 24º 54 and long. 4º 49′, bounded north by Roxbury, east by Harrisville, Dublin and Jaffrey, south by Troy, and west by Troy, Swanzey and Keene. It was originally granted by the Masonian proprietors, under the name of