Ziba Mason settled at an early date upon the farm now occupied by George F. Wise, where he died about 1845. His son Ziba, born on the old place, died here about 1862, aged sixty-three years. The latter’s son, William M., born on the old homestead, is now a merchant of Marlboro and represented the
Dolphus Bixby, born in Hillsboro, N. H., in 1790, has resided with his son Russell for the past sixteen years. Russell came here in 1870. In the spring of 1881 he made 240 pounds of sugar from seventeen maples.
MARLBORO is a small irregularly outlined township, lying in the central part of the county, in lat. 24° 54 and long. 4° 49′, bounded north by Roxbury, east by Harrisville, Dublin and Jaffrey, south by Troy, and west by Troy, Swanzey and Keene. It was originally granted by the Masonian proprietors, under the name of
Luther Hemenway was born in Framingham, Mass., in 1787, and came to Marlboro with his parents when but six months old, his mother bearing him with her on horse-back, making their way by the aid of marked trees. He died in Jaffrey in 1872. His son Luther has served the town as selectman six terms
Isaac Davis, the seventh son of a seventh son, and hence called Doctor, immigrated from Massachusetts to Roxbury while that town was still a wilderness, residing there until his death, in 1840. His son Joshua was born there in 1796, and died July 2, 1862, while Joshua’s son, George G., born in Roxbury, August 28,
Elijah Fitch, a blacksmith by trade, and a native of Marlboro, married Eliza Josly, and died August 4, 1876, aged sixty-four years. His widow survives him, a resident of the village, where their son Murray also resides.
John Converse, a native of Leicester, Mass., came to Marlboro in 1780 and located about half a mile east of the village. Here he passed his time as a carpenter and joiner, wheelwright and farmer, until his death, about 1850. His son Nelson was born here and has been proprietor of the Converse House for
Dr. Samuel A. Richardson was born in Dublin, N. H. He graduated at the Albany Medical college, remained in a hospital one year, and came to Marlboro, July 5, 1855. He remained in practice here until 1862, when he went out with the lath N. H. Vols., and remained in the service until the close
Levi Gates came to Marlboro with his father, from Massachusetts, about the year 1805, locating in the southern part of the town. He died about 1860, aged sixty-nine years. His son, Winslow L., is still a resident of the town.
The Methodist Episcopal church, located at the village, was organized by its first pastor, Rev. Thomas L. Fowler, with sixty members, in 1859. Their church building will seat 250 persons, cost $1,300.00, and is now valued, including grounds, etc., at $3,000.00. The society now has ninety-eight members, with Rev. C. W. Dockrill, pastor. The church