Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Old Marblehead Sea Captains

This volume is intended to be a fairly accurate list of the Old Sea Captains of Marblehead, and the vessels in which they sailed, going to and from foreign ports. The information contained in this volume has been obtained by careful and persistent research from widely distributed sources viz: the Marblehead and Salem and Beverly Custom House Records, original books of the Marblehead Marine Insurance Company, covering five thousand policies running from 1800 to 1840, list of Marblehead Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolutionary War (compiled in 1912-13 by the author), old log books, old letter books, old newspapers, list of Privateersmen of 1812 made up by Capt. Glover Broughton in a memorial to the 34th, 35th and 36th Congresses asking for grants of land for services rendered, and from the descendants of the men mentioned.

Biography of Colonel Henry Curtis

One of the prominent citizens of Rock Island, and a man of high standing in the legal profession, was Colonel Henry Curtis, deceased. He was born at Boston, Massachusetts, August 13, 1834, the home of his parents. Henry and Rebecca L. (Everett) Curtis, and in that city he spent his boyhood and received his preliminary education. This was finished by a course in the English High School of his native city, which fitted him for entrance into the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy, New York, where he pursued an engineering course, and graduated in 1855 as a civil engineer. In 1856 Mr. Curtis came to Rock Island, where, one year later, December 15, 1857, he married Lucy R. Osborn, the daughter of Marcus B. Osborn. He continued his practice as a civil engineer in Rock Island until October 8, 1860, when, having fitted himself for the legal profession, he was admitted to the Rock Island County Bar. Upon taking up the practice of his new profession, Mr. Curtis entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, Charles M. Osborn, under the firm name of Osborn & Curtis, and this partner-ship continued until 1880, when it was dissolved, Mr. Osborn removing to Chicago and Mr. Curtis continuing in the practice alone until his death. During the continuance of the firm they were attorneys for the Rock Island Road. In 1887 Mr. Curtis was appointed master in chancery for Rock Island County by Judge George W. Pleasants, which office he held continuously for nearly twenty-five years. A staunch Republican, Mr. Curtis never aspired to an active career in political life, and the office...

Pin It on Pinterest