W. J. Barnes, proprietor of Madison Hotel, is a native of Dutchess County, N. Y. In the spring of 1866, the family came to Columbus, Neb. The following year, they removed to Madison County, where he has since resided. The family are among the first 24 settlers of the county. His brother pre-empted this land
J. J. Sherlock, agent Union Pacific Railway, was born in Newport, Ky.; in 1869, came to Omaha; in 1873, he secured employment with this company, and has since been in their employ; December, 1879, he was appointed agent at Humphrey, remained there one year; he then removed to Lost Creek, was agent there about ten
F. W. Barnes, firm of Barnes & Tyrrel, bankers, is a native of Dutchess County, N. Y. In 1866, the family came to Columbus, Neb. May 3, 1867, they removed to Madison County, where he has since resided. Mr. Barnes entered 160 acres, on which the town of Madison is now situated. He laid out
F. W. Wolf, firm of Fritz & Wolf, proprietors of Madison Mills, was born in Germany; when a child came with his parents to Waukesha County, Wis.; assisted on their farm; in 1867, came to Franklin County, Iowa, there engaged in farming; April, 1881, came to Madison and became a member of this firm. Married,
H. D. Kelly, firm of Searles & Kelly, attorney at law. Mr. K. commenced the study of law in Ohio; in the spring of 1877 came to Belle Plaine, Benton Co., Iowa, also continued his studies; he attended the State University, graduated from the Law Department in 1880; he then commenced the practice of law
F. Hoffmann, jeweler and watchmaker, is a native of France. In 1874, came to New York City; worked at the Marion, N. J., watch factory about two years. In 1876, came to Elgin, Ill.; worked at the Elgin Watch factory about two and a half years. March, 1880, came to Madison, where he has since
James Stuart, banker, is a native of Kent, Litchfield Co., Conn. In 1871, came to Chicago, was engaged there in the wholesale grocery trade about nine years. In the spring of 1880, came to Madison; has since been engaged in banking.
William Gerecke, County Clerk, is a native of Germany. In 1854, he came to Dodge County, Wis., where he remained until 1872, when he came to Norfolk and opened a harness shop. This business he still carries on–firm of Spaulding & Gerecke. He was elected County Treasurer in the fall of1877. In the fall of
A. H. Steele, druggist. Is a native of Huron County, Ohio; when a boy, came with his parents to Albia, Monroe County, Iowa, his father being engaged in banking there several years, after engaged in the hotel business. The subject of this sketch held the office of ticket agent of the C., B. & Q.
L. W. Findeisen, firm of Horst & Findeisen, hardware, stoves and tinware, is a native of New Franken, Brown Co., Wis. Assisted on their farm. In 1871, he began to learn the tinner’s trade at Green Bay, Wis. September 1, 1875, went to the Northern Indiana Normal School. Afterward taught school for two years in