Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Colonel William R. Tolles

Colonel William R. Tolles, President of the San Bernardino Board of Trade and one of the most enterprising and public-spirited citizens of the county, was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, in 1823. His father was one of the original settlers of the famous “Western Reserve” in northern Ohio, having moved there and settled in Geauga County in 1837; there William passed his youth, excepting five or six winters which he spent in the South for the benefit of his health. He was in Arkansas when the Legislature of that State declared its secession from the Union, and he was a passenger on the last river steamer coming northward that was not intercepted. On reaching home he enlisted as a member of the Forty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as Captain of a company. In 1862 he returned, and aided in recruiting a regiment of 1,180 men in three weeks, and was commissioned its Lientenant-Colonel, it being the One Hundred and Fifth Ohio Infantry. Colonel Hall, his superior, died about three months after the regiment was organized, and Colonel Tulles was promoted to the command of the regiment, and filled the position until his broken health compelled him to resign in the early part of 1865. He went to Ohio, remaining until the spring of 1867, when he went to Michigan, and in company with a brother, engaged in the lumber business till 1872. The following spring he came to California almost a complete physical wreck. He came directly to Los Angeles and spent several months prospecting over that and other counties of Southern California, choosing San Bernardino as the most desirable...

Biography of Charles Hulbert Wilson

CHARLES HULBERT WILSON – A man of character who has had a thorough business training under the tutelage of his able father is Charles H. Wilson, of Pittsfield. From the time ha entered his father’s woolen manufactory he has shown ability and a liking for his work and has risen rapidly from one position to another until he is now shouldering the responsibilities of the offices of treasurer and vice-president. The concern is now doing business under the title of James & E. H. Wilson, Inc., and are manufacturers of woolen materials (for details of the business see biography of James Wilson, preceding). Mr. Wilson was born in Pittsfield, October 15, 1877, and has to his credit a very fine educational training. He was a student at Joseph E. Peirson’s private school for boys, in Pittsfield, then was an attendant at the Hotchkiss School at Lakeville, Connecticut. From this school he went to Yale University, from which he graduated in 1900, receiving at the time his Bachelor of Arts degree. His school studies completed ha returned home and in the same year of his graduation he entered his father’s business, learning the business from the bottom up. He showed remarkable executive ability and therefore it is not strange that he should have attained to the high position of treasurer of the firm. In 1923, upon the death of his uncle, Edward H. Wilson, ha was also elected its vice-president and ha is handling the duties of this office with the same ability that has characterized all his other work. Mr. Wilson is a director of the Pittsfield National Bank;...

Biography of Robert W. Adam

ROBERT W. ADAM – No name in Western Massachusetts represents more faithful service to the people or more honorable activities in a position of large trust than does that of the late Robert W. Adam, of Pittsfield, who served as treasurer of the Berkshire County Savings Bank for a period of forty-six years. This man of brilliant mentality and devoted spirit was one of the most accessible men of his time, always meeting rich or poor alike with the cordiality of the true brother of mankind, while at the same time his courtly manner and distinguished presence marked him as a prince among men. Born in that rugged section of Connecticut, which might well be called the lower Berkshires and highly educated in the institutions of his native New England, Mr. Adam became a distinguished lawyer, then after some sixteen years of practice in that profession, entered the world of finance. Thus in two outstanding realms of vital importance to the world, he distinguished himself as a man of ability and strength and his name reflects honor upon the city of which he was so many years a resident. Robert W. Adam was born in North Canaan, Connecticut, September 28, 1825, and died at his home in Pittsfield, June 11, 1911. His elementary studies were covered in the local schools and he covered the liberal arts course at Williams College, from which he was graduated in 1845. Coming to Pittsfield within the year, he took up the study of law under the distinguished preceptorship of Messrs. Rockwell & Colt, who as a leading early firm of lawyers trained many...

Biography of Frank Lyman Gold

FRANK LYMAN GOLD-A man of wide and varied activities, each of which he has carried on successfully after he had gained full knowledge of the field of business into which he was entering, the story of Frank Lyman Gold is full of interest. (I) He belongs to a notable old New England family, whose founder was Joseph Gold, born in London, England, who came to America when he was nineteen years old. According to family records, he served for seven years in the Revolutionary War, lived for a time in Northbury, Connecticut, and died in Roxbury, Vermont, in 1829. He married, in Northbury, Patience Goodenough, who died in 1826. One of his children, Joseph, is of further mention. (II) Joseph Gold, son of Joseph Gold, married, and his son, Miner, is of further mention. (III) Miner Gold, son of Joseph Gold, was born in Pelham, Massachusetts, in 1802, and died in Belchertown in May, 1882. He was a scholar, teacher, and good business man, and taught mathematics at Amherst College, besides writing an arithmetic text used in New England schools. Miner Gold married Olivia Conkey, who died in 1878, and among their children was a son, Theodore, of further mention. (IV) Theodore Gold, son of Miner and Olivia (Conkey) Gold, was born in Pelham, Massachusetts, in 1837, and died January 4, 1889. After his marriage he moved to Belchertown, Massachusetts, where he operated a saw mill, turning out shingles and lumber. In partnership with Mr. Knight, with the name of Knight & Gold, he carried on extensive lumber operations. The firm was highly respected, and Mr. Gold so good...

Biography of Amasa J. Parker

AMASA J. PARKER AN ALBANIAN of high intellectual qualities, who has passed his four-score years, and who has been a resident of this city for forty-four years, adorning its history by distinguished public service and private virtues is the Hon. Amasa J. Parker. He is a true representative of those enterprising New England pioneers who came from their old homes to aid in the development of the then new state of New York and the great western territories. Away back amidst the howling wilderness, where the cheering rays of the sun scarcely ever beamed upon their humble log cabins, they lived and toiled for the good of their country, their families, and their cherished civil and religious institutions. Judge Parker’s ancestors were among those who defended their homes from the invasion of the red men during the old French and English wars, when many a deed of horrid cruelty was enacted by the savages – when the tomahawk and scalping-knife in the hands of murderous foes gleamed through the thick forests, and when fears prevailed on every side, through the light of day and the darkness of night. And when the declaration of American independence was proclaimed, those worthy ancestors were found fighting on the side of the colonists in defense of the just rights of free men; and they laid not down their arms until this new republic was established, and the goddess of liberty forever enshrined in the hearts of the American people. Thomas Fenn, the maternal grandfather of Judge Parker, was a resident of Watertown, Conn., and for more than thirty sessions he represented his town...

Litchfield County, Connecticut Census

1790 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1790 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1790 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ Free 1790 Census Transcription Kent Township New Milford Part A Part B Hosted at Census Guide 1790 U.S. Census Guide 1800 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1800 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1800 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ Hosted at Census Guide 1800 U.S. Census Guide 1810 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1810 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1810 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ 1810-1890 Accelerated Indexing Systems $ Hosted at Census Guide 1810 U.S. Census Guide 1820 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1820 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1820 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ 1810-1890 Accelerated Indexing Systems $ Hosted at Census Guide 1820 U.S. Census Guide 1830 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1830 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1830 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ 1810-1890 Accelerated Indexing Systems $ Hosted at Census Guide 1830 U.S. Census Guide 1840 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1840 Census Form for your Research Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1840 Litchfield County, Census (images and index) $ 1810-1890 Accelerated Indexing Systems $ Hosted at Census Guide 1840 U.S. Census Guide 1850 Litchfield County, Connecticut Census Free 1850 Census Form for your Research Free 1850 Census Images (partially indexed) Hosted at Ancestry.com – Ancestry Free Trial 1850 Litchfield...

Litchfield County, Connecticut Cemetery Records

Most of these cemetery listings are complete indices at the time of transcription, however, in some cases we list the listing when it is only a partial listing. Following Pages hosted at Litchfield County CT, AHGP Colebrook Baptist Cemetery Colebrook Center Cemetery Hemlock Cemetery Colebrook River Cemetery Goshen Beach Cemetery Bentley Cemetery Catholic Cemetery Center Cemetery Collins Cemetery Davis Cemetery East Street Cemetery Hall Meadow Cemetery Middle Street Cemetery Old Cemetery (Quane Farm) Oviatt Cemetery (Malahan Farm) West Goshen Cemetery West Side Cemetery Harwinton Center Cemetery East Cemetery Hayden and Scoville Cemetery North Cemetery South Cemetery West Cemetery Kent Skiff Mountain Cemetery New Milford Long Mountain Cemetery South Kent Fenton Cemetery Old Lanesville Cemetery Pickett District Cmetery Peet Cemetery Gallows Hill Cemetery North Canaan Adam Cemetery Ashley Falls Cemetery Cannan Valley Cemetery Clayton Cemetery East Cannan Cemetery Quaker Cemetery St Josephs Cemetery Stevens Pease Cemetery Sharon Amenia Union Burying Ground Boland District Burying Ground Burying Ground in Tichnor’s Woods Cartwright Burying Ground Ellsworth Burying Ground Malcuit Farm Burying Ground Pine Swamp Burying Ground Sharon Burying Ground (Hillside Cemetery) Salisbury Chipinville Cemetery, Salisbury, CT Dutcher’s Bridge Cemetery, Salisbury, CT Mt. Riga Cemetery, Salisbury, CT Town Hill Cemetery, Salisbury, Ct. Torrington Newfield Cemetery, Torrington, CT Winchester – Winsted Danbury Quarter Cemetery, Winchester, CT New St. Josephs Cemetery, Winsted, CT The following cemeteries are hosted by Connecticut Tombstone Transcription Project Old Cemetery Terryville The Plymouth Cemetery St. Matthew’s Cemetery Following hosted at Ray Brown’s Connecticut AHGP pages Colebrook 4 Small Cemeteries Goshen 12 Small Cemeteries Center Cemetery Following pages are hosted by the Gaylordsville Historical Society Fanton Family Cemetery Gaylordsville Cemetery Following...

Biography of Howard W. Hosford

HOWARD W. HOSFORD, who has risen from humble beginnings to the position of general manager of the Norwood Manufacturing Company, of Florence, a village of Northampton, Massachusetts, has also given of his valued services, technical knowledge and administrative capacity to his home city, having served four consecutive terms twelve years, as a member of the City Water Commission, a body whose offices and powers are of immense importance to the domestic, industrial and civic life as well as to the healthfulness of the community in general. In performing this duty to the city, Mr. Hosford has exhibited the dependable and efficient qualities demanded by the municipality in the administration of perhaps its most important department. Mr. Hosford is the son of Charles L and Harriett I. Hosford, and was born in Winsted, Connecticut, September 7, 5869. When he was in his early boyhood he removed with his parents to Haydenville, Massachusetts, where he attended the local schools. Upon leaving school he entered the employ of the Haydenville Manufacturing Company, and soon became proficient in mechanical drafting. He later was assigned to the sales force of that concern and made the New York office his headquarters, traveling from that point to meet the company’s customers. He continued in that capacity until 1905, and in that year he was invited by his close friend, William Stevenson, then general manager of the Norwood Manufacturing Company of Florence, to join the sales force of that concern. This offer Mr. Hosford accepted, and he remained a member of the sales force for sixteen years. In 1917, owing to the death of Mr. Stevenson, Mr....

Biographical Sketch of Isaac Hamlin

(IV) Isaac, sixth child and fourth son of Deacon Ebenezer and Sarah dewis) Hamlin, was born July 1, 1714, died at Springfield, Massachusetts, 1805. He removed to Wareham where he and his wife were original members of the church in 1739 and where their eldest son Seth was baptized, March 14, 1742. He was dismissed to the Sharon church May 30, 1742. He owned a share in the Sharon Iron Works which he sold in 1749. He removed from Sharon, Connecticut, and his name appears on the records of Lenox, Massachusetts, June 11, 1777, where he bought land and erected a mill. In 1783 he deeded twenty acres of land with grist mill and half a sawmill to Perez and Asa Hamlin my sons.” This will at Lenox Furnace, now (1910) Lenox Dale, was kept in operation for many years and was burned after passing out of the family. Isaac and his wife were admitted to the Lenox Congregational church August 20, 1780, “by recommendation.” He married -Mary Gibbs of Agawam, intentions published September 24, 1737, sister of Ruth Gibbs, wife of his brother Thomas. Children: 1. Seth, of whom further. 2. Isaac, January 10, 1742. 3. Perez, February 3, 1748. 4. John. March 21, 1750. 5. Jehial, October 2, 1751. 6. Jesse, December 17, 1753 7. Cyreneus, August 15, 1755. 8. Mercy, September 8, 1757. 9. Asa, September 23, 1759. Their first child was born at Wareham, Massachusetts, the others at Sharon,...

Biography of Captain Seth Hamlin

(V) Captain Seth Hamlin, son and eldest child of Isaac and Mary (Gibbs) Hamlin, was born September 9, 1740. His name appears on the records of Alford, Massachusetts, in 1793-94, but not later. He is believed to have died there in 1795. He resided at Sharon, Connecticut; New Concord, New York, and Alford, Massachusetts, where his name frequently appears on the early records, sometimes as Captain Seth Hamlin. He was a highway surveyor in 1777, and town clerk in 17831785. He was a soldier of the revolution, serving in Captain Wilcox’s company, Colonel Ashley’s regiment. He enlisted for three years in the continental army; resident of Alford, Massachusetts; also private in Captain Job Alvord’s company in Colonel Shepard’s regiment, Third Massachusetts, for three years; returned by Truman Wheeler, muster ,,taster of Berkshire county, Massachusetts; mustered between January 20, 1777, and June, 1778; in service August 15, 1977; also private, same company and regiment. On return dated January 31, 1778, residence Alford; also private on continental army pay account in Captain Learned’s company, Colonel Shepard’s regiment, May 25, 1777, to June, 1778. He was appointed purchasing commissary in 1778 and remained in the service twelve months. Also private on depreciation roll of Colonel Shepard’s regiment to make good the wages for the first three years’ service in the continental army from 1777 to 1780; also in a statement of continental balances in Colonel Shepard’s regiment, certified May 12, 1780, enlisted for three years. He was a member of the Masonic order. He married (first) at Sharon, Connecticut. October 15. 1761, Mary Pitcher. Marriage record in church at Amenia Union, New...
Page 5 of 6123456

Pin It on Pinterest