G. W. Smith, farmer; P. O. Westfield; was born in Pulaski Co., Ky., April 17, 1813; when he was ten years of age his parents moved to Lawrence Co., Ind., and remained there about six years engaged in farming; from there they moved to Vigo Co., Ind., where his parents died. In 1839, Mr. Smith
James Rennels, farmer; P. O. Charleston; one of the pioneers of this county; was born in Madison Co., Ky., Feb. 12, 1807; when he was 17 years of age, his parents moved to Lawrence Co., Ind., within ten miles of Little Orleans. While living there the subject of this sketch married Nov. 17, 1825, Miss
Edmund Rennels, farmer; P. O. Charleston; is the second son of James Rennels, and was born in Lawrence Co., Ind., Dec. 13, 1829. He came with his parents to Coles Co., when he was only 3 years of age, and remained with them up to his marriage with Miss Martha Waltrip, of Hutton Tp., Feb.
W. H. Paugh, M. D., physician and surgeon, Mattoon; was born in Lawrence Co., Ind., March 13, 1838; his father was a physician and settled in Indiana as early as 1815; in addition to his common-school education, he attended the high school at Springville, Ind., and in subsequent years was Principal of the same. He
J. J. Foster, farming and stock; P. O. Arcola; the subject of this sketch was born in Lawrence Co., Ind., May 18, 1831. He married Miss Catharine Beggs Jan. 31, 1859; she was born in Clarke Co., Ind., May 10, 1838, and died May 14, 1866; they had three children, viz., Eugenia, Sarah M. and
Like many of the most prosperous and enterprising citizens of the county of Wallowa, the esteemed subject of this sketch came hither from the eastern part of the United States and here has wrought with the accumulated wisdom of years and experience gained both in that section of the country and in this, while he
Mr. & Mrs. R. C. Newland were married March 20, 1856, in Bedford, Indiana, which was also their birth place. Mrs. Newland’s maiden name was Catherine J. Swan and she was born August 17, 1834. Mr. Newland was born Dec. 24, 1836. In 1864, they moved to Galva, Illinois, where they resided until 1881 when