Luke Guyer, one of the three original settlers, came to Wolcott about 1790, from Hartford, Conn., and located on what is now known as the Guyer farm. He was a blacksmith by trade, and built the first blacksmith shop in the town. John, son of Luke, came here with his father, and was a resident
The second family that located in the town was that of Abiathar Wetherell, who came from Westmoreland, N. H., in 1798. In 1803, there came from the same place Zephaniah Leach and his four sons, Stephen, Nathan, William, and Jacob. He first settled on East hill, above where Nathan Page now lives , but afterward
John Stevens, from Newbury, N. H., immigrated to Hyde Park in 1827, and died in Johnson about 1858, aged seventy-five years. Mehitable, his wife, died in Johnson in 1878, aged ninety-five years. Horace, son of John, came to this town in 1857, where he still resides, as a carriage maker.
Isaac Tillotson, from Massachusetts, came to Belvidere at an early date, remaining until his death, in 1857, aged ninety-eight years. Isaac was a revolutionary soldier, and reared a family of eight children. His son, Eben, was born in 1783, reared a family of nine children, and died in 1848. Chauncey, youngest son of Eben, born
William Thomas, from the southern part of the State, came to the eastern part of this town about the year 1800. He was a Baptist clergyman, and held services in houses, barns, etc. Amos, a grandson of William, born in July, 1800, still manages a farm in Belvidere. George B., the oldest son of Amos,
Jonathan Hemenway, from Walpole, N. H., came to this town in 1800, and located on road 5, upon the farm now owned by O. A. Thomas. Two of his children are now living on the same road.
Joel Brown came from New Hampshire about the year ,808, and located in Underhill, where he remained about fourteen years, then removed to Cambridge, where he died in 1858. Samuel H., the second of his eight children, born in 1815, has been a resident of Waterville since 1854.
Theophilus Potter came from Bakersfield, in 1815, and located in the western part, where he followed the carpenter and joiner trade. Six of his twelve children are now living.
Solomon Manchester, from Barnet, Vt., came to Waterville in 1839, and located in the southern part of the town, on road 16. He has had a family of six children, three of whom now reside in the town.
Amos Page, from Massachusetts, was an early settler in Waterville. He located in the eastern part, where he died in 1840, aged eighty-four years. His family consisted of four sons, one of whom, Aaron D., settled in Waterville. Several of Amos’s descendants now reside in the town.