Heman Story was born in this town, near Moscow. His father died when he was a year and a half old, and his mother died when he was five years of age. In 1861, he located on road 17, corner of 18, where he still resides.
The Leache are the descendants of a McLeach family, of Scotland. Three brothers McLeach came to this country. from the Highlands of Scotland about 250 years ago, and settled at Cold Run, Mass. They afterwards removed to Westmoreland, N. H., where, nearly 125 years since, the name was changed, on petition to Parliament, from McLeach
Hiram S. Atkins, born in Waterbury, Vt., came to Stowe in 1845. He is now engaged in mercantile pursuits at Stowe.
Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his
Alvin P. Holmes, son of Rev. Samuel Holmes, a revolutionary soldier and an early settler in Cambridge, came to this town in 1846, where he still resides, at the village.
John Poor, born in Montpelier, came to Stowe about thirty-five years ago, and resided here until his death, in 1868, aged sixty years. Sylvander C., born in Morristown, came to Stowe with his father, and now resides on road 42.
George S. Wade, born in Sharon, Vt., came to Stowe in 1848, and located where he still resides, on road 31.
Amasa Wells, born in Barnet, Vt., came to Stowe in 1850, and located on road 41, where he still resides.
B. O. Shaw, a son of Benoni Shaw, an early settler in Morristown, came to Stowe in 1853, and located where he still resides, on road 22.
Luke Guyer, one of the three original settlers, came to Wolcott about 1790, from Hartford, Conn., and located on what is now known as the Guyer farm. He was a blacksmith by trade, and built the first blacksmith shop in the town. John, son of Luke, came here with his father, and was a resident