Moody Parker, a native of Lyman, N. H., born in 1785, came to Wolcott in 1821, where he resided until his death, in 1869, aged eighty-four years. Mr. Parker was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and held the office of sergeant. After the war he returned to Lyman and married Millicent Moulton, who is still
Merrill Andrus, from Orange county, Vt., came to Wolcott in 1839, and located on road 13, where his son, T. O. Andrus, now resides. He married Maria Lawrence, by whom he had eight children, three of whom, T. O. Andrus, Mrs. R. F. Parker, and Mrs. Eli Drury, are living. Mr. Andrus died in August,
Levi Parker, from Lyman, N. H., came to Wolcott in June, 1821, and purchased fifty acres of land on road i 1, where E. P. Dexter now resides. Here Mr. Parker resided until his death, in 1862, aged seventy-two years.
Joseph C. Bailey, a native of Berlin, Vt., married Miss Sally Gurley, of that place, and removed to Elmore in 1823, where he built a log house near the present residence of Philo Darling. About the year 1852, Mr. Bailey sold his farm to his sons, C. N. and Frank, and removed to Middlesex, where
J. C. Bailey was extensively engaged in the dairy business at one time, having sixty head of cattle. Joseph represented the town of Elmore in the legislature in 1847-’48.
Calvin Holton, a native of Chester, Vt., born March 3, 1809, came to Wolcott in November, 1831, and located upon the farm now owned by John Wells, near road 16. Here Mr. Holton erected a log house on his 100 acre farm, for which he had paid $200.00, there being then no wagon road within
Rufus Bruce, a native of Chester, Vt., and son of Rev. Rufus Bruce, came to Wolcott on horseback during the summer of 1831, and bought 100 acres of land on road 22 corner 17. paying therefor $200.00. He then hired a man to slash five acres of the heavy timbered land, and returned to Chester,
Jesse Davenport, born in Salem, Mass., March 25, 1797, came to Wolcott from Berlin, Vt., in 1832, and located on road 11, where he resided until his death, October 9, 1880. Mr. Davenport held many of the town trusts, and enjoyed the respect and confidence of his townsmen to a remarkable degree.
Beverly Titus, a native of Tunbridge, Vt., came to Wolcott from Vershire, Vt., in 1832, and located upon the farm now owned by C. G. Moulton, on road 26. Mr. Titus reared a family of twelve children, several of whom are living, viz.: William C., in Oakland, Cal. , John H., and Mrs. Celia Titus
Thomas Davis, a Connecticut sea captain, came to Wolcott at an early date, and purchased fifty-five acres of land on road 24, which is now owned by his grandson, Pardon Davis. A year or two after his settlement Mr. Davis erected a house of planks, the outside being lathed and plastered, the walls being decorated