Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Monument To Aroniateka ‘Fiendich’ Lake George Village, New York

Aroniateka or Chief Hendrick was a Mohawk of the Village of Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley. In 1618 the Mohawks and other nations of the Iroquois Confederacy made a treaty with the Dutch of Manhattan. When the English took over the Dutch Colony the Treaty of Friendship and Mutual Aid was carried on to these people. The Mohawks, for over three hundred years, held fast to this treaty of friendship, their people considering it a disgrace to ever violate a sacred covenant. In no so-called civilized country can one find a parallel steadfast faith. They fought fiercely and unwaveringly upon the side of the English because of the treaty made so many years before. In 1755, two thousand French soldiers under General Dieskau attempted to invade the Colony of New York by way of Lake George. General William Johnson requested the aid of Chief Hendrick and his Mohawks. He also asked and took the advice of the Mohawk Chief as to how to best defeat the French. The Mohawk Chief joined the English army which met the French at Lake George. At the battle which took place, Sept. 8, 1755, the brave chief and many of his followers were killed. The Mohawks won the fight however and saved the infant colony of New York. Today, in sight of the Lake, there stands a large monument in honor of this Mohawk Chief and William Johnson. Leaving the Lake George Battlefield the Mohawks headed south following the old Warrior Path that led to the Mohawk Country. They were told by their leader that a little way to the west of the...

From Albany to Saratoga along the Hudson River

A pleasant tour awaits the traveler who continues his journey north from Albany, where the Delaware and Hudson train for Saratoga is ready at the landing on the arrival of the steamer. A half hour’s run along the west bank gives us a glimpse of Troy across the river with the classical named hills Mount Ida and Mount Olympus. Two streams, the Poestenkill and the Wynant’s Kill, approach the river on the east bank through narrow ravines, and furnish excellent water power. In the year 1786 it was called Ferryhook. In 1787, Rensselaerwyck. In the fall of 1787 the settlers began to use the name of Vanderheyden, after the family who owned a great part of the ground where the city now stands. January 9, 1789 the freeholders of the town met and gave it the name of Troy. The “Hudson,” the “Erie,” and the “Champlain” Canals have contributed to its growth. The city, with many busy towns, which have sprung up around it¬óCohoes, Lansingburg, Waterford, etc., is central to a population of at least 100,000 people. The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the oldest engineering school in America, has a national reputation. Cohoes, where the Mohawk joins Cohoes, comes from an Indian origin and signifies “the island at the falls.” This was the division line between the Mahicans and the Mohawks, and when the water is in full force it suggests in graceful curve and sweep a miniature Niagara. The view from the double-truss iron bridge (960 feet in length), looking up or down the Mohawk, is impressive. Passing through Waterford, and Mechanicville which lies partly in the township of...

Pin It on Pinterest