E. M. Edwards came to this town from Johnson, Vt., in 1837, and located upon the farm he now occupies. He has three children, Adelia M., Charles S., and Mary M.
Hon. Vernon W. Waterman was born in Johnson, Vt., July 30, 1811. When three years of age he went with his farther to Montpelier, Vt., to live, and remained there until nineteen years of age, when he came to Morristown to reside with his uncle, Hon. David P. Noyes, who was engaged in mercantile pursuits.
Dr. Almerian Tinker commenced the practice of medicine in Johnson prior to, or about, the year 1830, remained there a few years, then came to this town, where he remained until his death, March 14, 1880. During the last thirty-five years of his life lie gave up the practice of his profession. He held several
JOHNSON lies in the central part of the county, in latitude 44 40′, and longitude 4° 19′, bounded northeasterly by Belvidere and Eden, south easterly by Hyde Park and Morristown, southwesterly by Morristown and Cambridge, and northwesterly by Waterville and Cambridge, containing an area of little over 23,040 acres. The tale of its charter breathes
Zachariah Whiting, from Francestown, N. H., came to Johnson at an early date, and located on road 12, where his son, Almon, is now living. He had a family of eight children. Zachariah, Jr., born in 1827, still resides in the town, on road 19.
Nathan Atwell, from Hollis, N. H., came into Johnson among the earliest settlers, and located on road 11, upon the farm now owned by his son, James. He resided here until his death, at the age of eighty-four years. Six of his family of thirteen children are now living. James, the twelfth child, born in
David Foster came to Johnson, Vt. from New Hampshire in 1790, and settled in the southeastern part of the town, where he resided until his death, at an advanced age, having reared a family of six children. Obadiah, his second son, born in 1771, resided in the town until his death, in 1850. Seven of
Ralph Ellenwood, a native of Amherst, N. H., and a veteran of the revolutionary war, came to Johnson in 1772, and located upon a tract of land about a mile and a half west of the present village. At the time he came here he had a family of five children, which was subsequently increased
Joseph Manning, from Marblehead, Mass., came to Johnson in 1824, and located upon the farm now owned by Isaac A., his only son. Mr. Manning was a sailor in early life, but learned the carpenter and joiner trade later, and erected many of the old houses now found in the town.
(For explanations, etc., see main page) Allen Joel, (Johnson) allo. physician and surgeon, Main St., h do. Anderson Calvin B., (Johnson) allo. physician and surgeon. Andrews Bros., (Johnson) (Sumner A. and Wallace G.,) dealers in dry goods, crockery, ready-made clothing, hardware, and boots and shoes. ANDREWS EDWARD P., (Johnson) r is, farmer 40, and with