Nathaniel F. Stevens, a son of James M., and Mary C. (Fogg) Stevens, was a native of Exeter, N. H. He came to Jaffrey in 1862 and located upon a farm on road 55, on Peabody hill. He married Huldah A. Choate, of Sandwich, N. H., who bore him three children, two of whom are
Gustavus A. Cutter, was one of the three children of Charles A. and Philena, who resided on road 53. He served in the late Rebellion and was honorably discharged.
Green Towne, son of Deacon Towne, who was a captain under General Green in the Revolution and also served in the French and Indian war, married Lucy, daughter of Capt. Solomon Rand, of Rindge. He reared a family of eight children, five of whom are now living. His son Levi P. married Emily A., daughter
Cummings Sawyer, son of Josiah, married Elizabeth, daughter of W. Edward and Parnell Young, and has three children. He now resides on the homestead farm, on road 39.
Louis Woodruff, a native of Westfield, N. J., married Damaris N. Winans, of Elizabeth, N. J., who bore him six children, three of whom are living. His son John W. married Susan A., daughter of Luke and Abbie (Dawes) Tucker, of Elizabeth N. J. Two of his three children, James D., a resident of Minneapolis,
Asa and Betsey (Pike) Pierce, from Weston, Mass., located in Dublin about 1786. After a few years he died, leaving his widow and two sons, Asa and Jonas. July 29, 1790, his widow married Thomas Davidson, and removed to Jaffrey. Jonas Pierce, second son of Asa, was born in Dublin, April 8, 1788. He married
Joseph Cutter, a native of Lexington, Mass., married Rachel Hobert, of Pepperell, Mass., and reared a family of ten children. His son John, born. October 24, 1780, married Mary, daughter of Daniel and Betsey Batchelder, of Wilton, N. H., who bore him ten children. He died in Jaffrey, January 15, 1857. His son John A.
J. S. Lawrence, son of Ithamer, married Sarah, daughter of Zachariah and Rebecca Emery, who bore him three children, all now living, and occupied the homestead until his death. His son Frederick J. married Clara, daughter of Nehemiah and Adaline (Bailey) Cutter, has one child, and resides on the home farm, road 5.
The Congregational church of Jaffrey village.-The grant from the Masonian proprietors stipulated that a meeting-house be built within six years from the date of the charter. There is nothing in the early records of the town, however, to show that anything was done towards this object previous to 1774, when it was voted that such
The First Universalist society, at East Jaffrey, was organized November 16, 1822, and re-organized in 1858, with twenty-five members. Rev. Dolphus Skinner was the first pastor. Their church building, erected in 1844, will seat 275 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $3,000 00. The society now has about sixty members, with Dr. Sawyer pastor.