Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Kullman, Augusta Katherine Peterson – Obituary

Augusta Katherine, daughter of John Peterson, was born in Sweden October 24, 1857 and died at the hospital in Ida Grove, Iowa, July 17, 1920 aged 62 years, 8 months and 23 days. She was married to Axel Kullman in 1879 and the next year they came to America and located at Wall Lake, Iowa, where they made their home until her death. Mrs. Kullman was the mother of eight children of whom one has preceded her to the far beyond. She leaves to mourn her death a loving husband and seven children: Mrs. Roy Northrup, of Chicago, Mrs. Floyd Sherwood, of Schaller, Mrs. Will Hodgeson, of Cherokee, Will, Arthur and Hjalmer of Cherokee, and Charlie of Wall Lake. She also leaves three sisters: Mrs. Chas. Burnquist, of Odebolt, Mrs. Peterson and Mrs. Johnson of Chicago, one brother, Gust(af) Johnson, of Los Angeles, Cal., and six grandchildren. She was baptized in the Swedish Lutheran Church. Mrs. Kullman was a model mother who will be missed not only by all her relatives and neighbors but by a large circle of friends to whom whe had ministered in time of sickness. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Methodist Church. Burial took place in the Wall Lake Cemetery. Copied from an obituary notice found in a ledger kept by William Gustaf Kullman and passed to William L. Kullman in 1972 by Russell William...

Andre, Thomas Jefferson, Dr. – Obituary

Dr. Andre Answers His Last Summons After Doing Good to Mankind for More than Forty Years, Dr. T. J. Andre Goes Down the Long, Long Trail The news of the earthquake in California was not half so startling as the news on Tuesday morning that Dr. Andre had passed away at about 4 o’clock that morning after an illness of only a few hours, of angina pectoras. On Monday evening he had an attack of the trouble and for a time was quite sick but appeared recovered from it and was feeling considerable better Tuesday. Dr. Armstrong came over from Ida Grove to see him Tuesday morning and advised him to go to bed and keep quiet, but anyone acquainted with the doctor knows that inactivity is not in his vocabulary – he has never known such a word, and during the afternoon he was around as usual although not doing much in the way of work, and was feeling pretty good. About 6:30 he had another attack and he completely collapsed and from that time he continued to fail. Dr. McCray was summoned as also was Dr. Parker of Ida Grove, but it was very evident to them that the end was not far off. He rallied some but relapsed again and the end came at 4 o’clock yesterday morning. Thomas Jefferson Andre was born on May 10, 1857, in Columbiana County, Ohio, near the village of Hanover. In 1865 he came with his parents to Iowa, the family locating in Scott County on a farm. Dr. Andre remained with his folks on the farm for several years,...

John Wesley Somers

John Wesley Somers, one of Ida Grove’s oldest and distinguished residents, died Saturday morning, August 2, 1919, at the age of 84 years, 8 months, and 15 days. The funeral was held at the late home Monday, in charge of Rev. John T. Pierce. The interment was at the Ida Grove Cemetery. The pall bearers were Charles S. Macomber, W. J. Scott, James E. Easton, B. S. Noble, A. Sykes, and Card Kiner. Mr. Somers was born at Rockford, Surrey County, North Carolina, on November 17, 1834. While still in youth, he moved to Rockford, Illinois, where he met Sarah J. Fitzgerald, and on November 28, 1858, in that city, the ceremony was solemnized by the Rev. Wm. Munhall. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in 1861, and was in the active army service throughout the entire period of the war, three years and 11 months. He was mustered out as First Lieutenant Quartermaster, 76th Illinois Volunteers, on May 15, 1865. He studied pharmacy in Illinois and, upon his return from the army, conducted that business. For 21 years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Somers lived in Urbana. Then in September, 1879, they moved to Onawa, Ia., and three years later, in June, 1882, they came to Ida Grove, Ia. Here he opened his business as a druggist and pharmacist, a business which has continued ever since. Thus for 37 years he had his home in Ida Grove. Two children of the family survive: Mrs. Annie S. Gardner of Clinton, Ia., and Elmer C. Somers of Ida Grove. There is one grandson, Daniel Gardner, of...

History of Mathew Gray Post – Grand Army of the Republic

This was organized in the fall of 1881 with 27 charter members. The final membership reached 127. It lasted until the last member, James Deal, died in 1930. The post was given its name in honor of Matthew Gray, a highly respected soldier who had died just before the organization. For many years, the Mathew Gray Post was very active and great enthusiasm was displayed in the observance of Decoration Day and the Fourth of July. Each year on those days, the Civil War Veterans would dress in their blue uniforms, one carrying a large flag and the rest a rifle, and led the parade. “Kim” Page, a tall dressy man with a long beard, usually served as officer of the day. He rode a horse and with formality marshaled his men and marched to the place of the meeting. At times they marched to the cemetery; but as they grew order, they rode in carriages, formed a line at the cemetery, and fired salutes over each comrade’s grave. Richard Williams and James Deal were the last ones to answer the last roll call. Mr. Williams of Schuylkill Co., Pa., enlisted in 1864 and became a member of Battery F, 1st Illinois Light Artillery. He died April 21, 1929 at the age of 83 years. Mr. Deal enlisted at Boone, Ia., March 1862 and served with Co. K Iowa Infantry. He received an honorable discharge at Jefferson Barracks in 1863, having been disabled by a severe leg injury while participating in the Battle at Iuka, Miss. He died March 12, 1930 at the age of 87 years. Charter Members...

Biography of Woodford P. Evans

Woodford P. Evans. Among the able and valued newspaper men of Kansas, one who gave the best years of an active and achieving life to journalism was the late Woodford P. Evans, whose closing twenty-one years were spent at Lebo as editor and owner of the Lebo Enterprise. He was well known in other parts of the state and in other sections of the country, and was an honored veteran of the Civil war. Throughout his entire career he was an earnest and fearless advocate of right, irrespective of class or station, and he inspired such universal confidence that many offices of trust and responsibility were bestowed upon him, and true and loyal friends by the score testified to his engaging personality. During the years he lived at Lebo he was one of the vitalizing forces of the town. Woodford P. Evans was born on a farm near Greencastle, Indiana, May 3, 1842. His parents were William M. and Lavina Evans, who removed from Indiana to Illinois in his early childhood. His father was a furniture dealer and undertaker at Greenville in Bond County, Illinois, and there the youth attended school and then entered the Advocate printing office and learned the trade. When the Civil war came on Mr. Evans saw that the plans he had made for the future were disarranged, for he felt that it was his patriotic duty to offer his services in such a time of stress. He enlisted in the Twenty-second Illinois Regiment at the age of nineteen and was the first to enlist in a company made up at Greenville by Captain Hubbard....

Biography of John H. Moorehead

J. H. Moorehead came to Ida County in June, 1856. He was born in Zanesville, Ohio, September 21, 1808. He was a son of Thomas Moorehead who was of Scotch ancestry. He had been engaged in shipping flour down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans. In 1854, Mr. Moorehead came to Iowa City, Iowa, where he remained until 1856, when he and his family came to Ida County. He took an active part in all public affairs and assisted in the upbuilding of the county. He had been a man of business for many years and shouldered the public duties which were thrust upon him. When the Ida County government was organized in 1858, he was chosen as County Judge. By this time, there were 38 people residing in the county. The county courthouse was established at his home in 1860. The first post office of the county was also at the Moorehead Homestead by 1857, and stagecoaches traveled daily from Fort Dodge to Sioux City, and back. Mrs. Moorehead prepared meals for the riders of the stagecoaches, and travelers could room there, also. When John Moorehead came to Ida County, he made his residence in the grove near where the town of Ida Grove was later established in 1877. When they first arrived in the county, they lived in a trapper’s cabin near where the Timber Creek and the Maple River joined, until their log cabin had been built nearby. The log cabin had one room downstairs and an upstairs for the men and boys. The family brought Mrs. Moorehead’s mother with them, along with a...

Biographical Sketch of George Yousling

George Yousling of Corwin Township, Ida County, Iowa, settled here in 1879 on Section 26. He was born in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pa., October 28, 1825, the son of George Yousling, Sr., a native of Switzerland. His mother was Elizabeth Yousling, also a native of Switzerland. George Yousling was reared and educated in Dauphin County, living there until 18 years of age where he learned the trade of carpenter. His present farm was south of Ida Grove where he redeemed the farm from its original wild state. His residence was two stories in height, with an added L the same height. His commodious barn was 38 x 50 feet, with twelve-foot posts and twenty-six foot center post on a rock foundation. He had a crib building and a wagon shed, along with an implement building. The farm was well watered with fine wells and a good pond. The farm of 400 acres was divided into fields, well fenced, and had a nice grove. George married when he was twenty-four years of age with Eleanor Young of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Her parents were John and Lydia Young. Three children were born to Mr. & Mrs. Yousling, namely: John, and another son and daughter died in childhood. Mrs. Yousling died in 1852 and two years later George again married, to Mary McFadden. Six children were born to them, namely: William, Barbara, Joseph R., George H., Ella, and Ed. Mr. Yousling served in the Civil War for nine months, belonging to Company K, 192...

Biographical Sketch of William C. Forney

He was of Corwin Township, Ida County, Ida Grove, Iowa, and settled here in 1882. He was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on October 13, 1854. His father was Michael Forney (born October 15, 1824 in Dauphin County, Pa.) who came here in 1885. His mother was Margaret Crownshield, born in Maryland. Michael and Margaret’s children were: Sarah C., wife of David O. Crum, and William C., the subject of this biography. William C. Forney received his education at Millersville Normal School, Pa., and entered the boot and shoe business. Since coming West in 1882, he engaged in farming and stock-raising. When he was 21, he married Emma J. Kinter who was born in Lebanon County, Pa. Emma’s parents were John and Elizabeth Kinter. William C. and Emma’s children were: Margaret Elizabeth, Michael J., Harry S., and William C. Forney, Jr. William C. Forney, Jr. married Minnie H. and their children were Ross Nicholl and Arlo W. Forney. Ross married Ruth Clapsaddle, and Arlo married LaDonna...

Biographical Sketch of R. S. Wasser

This grocery and queensware establishment was formed in 1885 by R. S. Wasser and J. L. Bleakly of Ida Grove, Ia., Ida County. They first opened business at a stand, then moved to a brick building. R. S. Wasser, head of the firm, is a native of Northumberland County, Pa., born November 17, 1860. His parents were Joseph B. and Susan A. Persing Wasser. Mr. Wasser married Mollie L. Dutcher on September 19, 1888. She was a native of Franklin Grove, Illinois, and died at 26 years of age on August 1,...

Biographical Sketch of William Smith

William Smith was owner and proprietor of the Central Roller Mills, Ida Grove, Ia. He succeeded Wilkinson & Smith in the milling business, this firm having succeeded Brown & Ream. Mr. Brown was the founder of the milling plant and erected the a two-story structure building in 1883. It was a buhrstone mill having a capacity of 40 barrels. In 1887 it was changed to a roller mill by Wilkinson & Smith and its capacity increased to 60 barrels per day. Mr. Smith then erected a new engine house, removed the old slide valve and replaced it with a Reynolds-Corliss engine. Three men were employed in the mill. The product brand names were “Ivory Patent,” “White Pearl,” and “Oasis.” William Smith was born April 7, 1852 in Perry County, Pennsylvania. His parents were John and Sarah (Bauserman) Smith. He was raised on a farm and came West when 25 years old. He first located in Sac County, then Battle Creek in Ida County, and then became the owner of the Central Roller Mills at Ida Grove. He married Matilda J. Shearer of Dellville, Pa. in January 1883. They had 5 children: Samuel M., Sarah E., William W., and Jennie B, and Emily...
Page 1 of 212

Pin It on Pinterest