Claus Rochau of Galva Township, Ida County, Ia. resides on Section 3. He has been a resident of the township since 1877, and is one of the old settlers. He was born in Germany, near Holstein, in 1842. He was the son of Hans and Catherine Rochau, both natives of Germany. In 1860, Claus crossed
John Harrison, one of the early pioneers of Douglas Township, Ida County, Iowa, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, in December, 1824, a son of James and Elizabeth (Clendening) Harrison, natives also of that county. He moved to Scotland with his parents when a lad and was raised and educated there. In 1845, John was
The firm of Bowman & Kranz Bros., lumber and coal dealers of Holstein, Iowa, was organized July 1, 1886, purchasing the business of S. H. Bowman Lumber Co., the pioneer lumber dealers of Holstein. Their large building, 80 x 100 feet, with all the smaller buildings, were located near the railroad depot. H. G. Kranz
Hotel Rinehart was one of the hostelries of Battle Creek, Iowa, situated a short distance from the railroad depot. It had 14 bright, cheery, neat and comfortable rooms and was inviting to the dusty, fatigued traveler. There was a restaurant and lunch counter where the best of meals and all temperance drinks were provided. Mr.
He was a farmer residing near Holstein, Iowa, in Battle Township in Ida County, 1883. He was a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, born December 21, 1835. His limited education was received in a log schoolhouse, built with puncheon floor and slab seats. He came to Ida County in 1883. He married Agnes Miller of